Add static IP

It would be very convenient to be able to set a fixed IP on the printer. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just assign it using the router? It is usually my way to go in a network that uses DHCP.

Jups, its defintly done on the router and nowere else.

The printer cannot request/reserve an address; the router determines the address assignment to all network devices.

A little advanced:

However, you can connect a second router to the LAN port of your first router as long as you give the new router its own network, e.g. 192.168.101.01. Not entirely clean but works. This may done, if the first router does not belong to you, for example if it is provided by your internet provider… In addition, most of the cheap routers included in the subscription are usually used to death - a router is not a jack-of-all-trades and a switch is responsible for the speed in the network…

The crazy stuff:

Things get crazy by stuff like TP-Link SafeStream TL-ER7206. Than you can combine up to 3 Internet lines from 3 routers from 3 different internet providers and create an almost infinite network with a very large number of subnetworks. Everything secured against each other as much and as you want…

We are a big company and we have a wireless connection with personal authentication an IP.
Is not possible to have a DHCP for internal regulation.

If it were possible to assign an IP to the printer it would be much simple.

1 Like

Ok. That is then indeed unfortunate. Try to assign it an IP using a DHCP server before connecting it to your network. Give it a long lease time, that way it should keep that address.

Otherwise, if you have an X1, you can just remote connect via SSH and set it that way.

I have to concur with the notion here that having the inability to set up manual network settings puzzled me. I just chalked it up the an immature product development or perhaps the developers have an agenda they are being deliberately opaque about.

Also in that category of WTF, poor performance of their FTP implementation. I mean really? 50-7KB/s on a GigE backbone. C’mon now.

While we’re at it. The lack of an SSH interface, Web Interface and other such open systems concepts makes me wonder what the end game here is. Why would Bambu lock up these basic functions? Why are they being so opaque? Can I trust their device living on my private network. I already had to block their machine from phoning home.

After all, this is a Linux kernel and you have to actually remove many of the services that are missing. But to not have the ability to set a static IP, DNS and all the other stuff that comes with Linux is baffling.

Bambu!!! You can’t have it both ways. You can’t use Linux and hide your functions, the GPL specifically states:

For GPLv3 (Section 6):

Subsection 6a: If you distribute a modified version of a GPLv3-licensed program in object code or executable form, you must also make the corresponding source code available to anyone who receives the binary version.

Subsection 6b: Like in GPLv2, if you distribute the binary version, you must include a written offer, valid for at least three years, to provide the corresponding source code upon request.

So consider this a request to publish the source code just like everyone else who redistributes a modified Linux, it’s only fair.

2 Likes

For those stating “Its done on the router” that’s not an option for Starlink. It rather silly that the Bambu Labs X1C does not let you set a non DHCP address in the printer.

Starlink also allows an alternative router, in which case the operation mode of Starlink has to be changed and the external device takes over the router function. Resetting the Stalink to its original function is no longer that easy and don’t ask me where I read that, because I read a lot…