Adding text using Text function question

Hi Folks,

When adding flush text to say a lid of a box, how many layers should text should there be? How does one set the amount of layers? On the attached image, the text is set at 5 layers.

I’ve looked on Youtube for guides. Found this one but it doesn’t seem to explain how many layers etc.:

I assume if you can cut down layers, you cut down filament swaps with or without an AMS, but I assume you need a certain amount of layers for the text to look good?

Hope someone can advise.

Thanks in advance

m

The number of layers regarding the text depends on the layer thickness and text height.

E.g. 1 mm (text height) / 0.2mm (layer thickness) = 5 layers

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply JayZay! So, should the text height be the same as the layer height only? So say 0.28mm layer height, the text should only be one layer?..or should I do 2 layers…or 3? What will give the best result?
Thanks!

That depends on many things, such as goal, colours, and other slicer settings.
A generic answer:

• Avoid a single layer, as it may not be enough to create the proper look.
  • I usually use three layers, as it seems enough for most proposes and reduces the number of filament changes.

What is the lid’s thickness (height), and what colours will you use for the lid and text?

3 Likes

Hi JayZay. Again, thanks for the follow-up! I’m struggling to get this to work. I think the easiest way to show you the issue(s) is to link to my project. That link is below. You may spot what this idiot is doing wrong :roll_eyes: If you slice plate 1, then check the layers from layer one to layer 5, you will note that layer 2 does not have the text. Trying to get down to three layers, but for the life of me I can’t seem to get that to work out. I’ve tried altering the depth of the text.

I hope you have the time to have a look at the file and see what’s up.

Thanks in advance!

Replying to myself here: FYI JayZay: I managed to do this in Bambu Studio. I was trying to do this in Orca before. My result was not exactly following Ashley’s video, as some of the parameters have changed. When I cut the cube and text, the text is pushed to one side. So I simply used that to assemble with the main body. You will see from the following screenshots that layer one is correct:

As is layer 2, 3 and layer 4 shown in screenshot:

and layer 5 is the main colour of the body:

So I can get 95% of the way there. Still can’t work out how to get down to three layers.
Finished result:

Hope this makes sense?
Thanks!

Actually…No…I’ve not quite managed it :face_with_raised_eyebrow: I have a non manifold edge problem flagged. I’m on Mac, so will have to load BS to my Windows machine to sort out.

Funny because it will slice…

OK…I think I have it!
After adding text to the primitive cube…delete the primitive cube. Then edit height of text to 3 x layer height. Center parts…assemble…slice. Check layers and by 4th layer main body colour is laid over 3 layers of text!

Jeez…that was like pulling teeth.

Thanks to JayZay!
You got me to think in the right direction!
m