Adjust cutter tool size or make it scaleable

i have found the size of the cut tool to be a bit large and hard to fit in certain areas i cant seem to find a way to scale the size of the cut window, i think it would be very beneficial to get into tight areas you desire to cut

What do you mean by that? The cutting tool cuts on an infinite plane. There is no size. Do you have screengrab to illustrate what you are seeing?

1 Like

as seen here with red arrows pointing to it… should be able to scale the cut window down to size https://ibb.co/6BT5DDQ

I think you’re misinterpreting what is on the screen. That grey are is simply a reticle used to provide site guidance. It scales to the size of the object being cut. Note, I am using Orca 1.9 with the improved sighting tool but the function doesn’t change in earlier versions or in Bambu Studio.

Here’s an example. Take two object primitives and initiate the cut tool. You’ll notice that the size of the cutting reticle scales to enclose the object.

Now create an assembly.

Then employ the cut tool and you will see the reticle scales to fit the four corners of the geometry of the max X/Y distance of the entire assembly

That grey square is simply a visual aid.

1 Like

That is already possible. See this video:

3 Likes

I think his issue in the example image he provided is that he wants to be able to cut one feature of the same model without cutting another feature on the same plane.
Using his example:
Maybe he wants to cut the head of the trident without cutting the head of the creature.

1 Like

exactly, thanks 20characters

Exactly. You can do that with selective cuts as explained in the video I shared.

3 Likes

not what im looking for…

thanks this is helpful, but still think a scaleable plane would be better you could get into tighter spots without all the extra effort, i will try your method for the itme being, thanks

Yes, thank you for sharing that excellent video! I did not know that was a feature.
I was just attempting to explain the OP’s issue.

1 Like

Can you not use a negative part (cube) and scale/place it as you need if you must have a “scalable” cutting tool?

This was very helpful! Thank you.

2 Likes

That actually makes sense. Then to restated the request, what he’s looking for is a way to define a “cutting tool”.

There are tons of videos on how to do that simply using the negative object or Boolean mesh tool.

Here’s a simple example. Define a cylinder and a second object, in this case a cone. Make the cone a negative part. Then move the part into the location where the cut is desired. One can make it any shape they want.

Use the Boolean tool and then exporting the STL will make it a permanent and portable model that can be used anywhere.

I used this method extensively when I was molding two organic parts into one piece. In fact, this tool works better in the slicer that it does in CAD.

1 Like