Aerospike fan powered by X1C toolhead turbine

I am sharing my little DIY project.
A fan using aerospike nozzle.

model-fan-animation2

Principle

Same as a regular “blade-less fan”, this aerospike fan uses below principle to move air:

blowing a thin high-velocity smooth airflow from a continuous slot across the surface of the tube or toroid.

The difference is that the aerospike can generate a narrow and high velocity stream of air, but the regular blade-less is focus on moving large volume of air.

However, aerospike nozzle is for hypersonic airflow which normally seen in jet engine and rocket engine to adapt wide range of atmosphere pressure (altitude). It can maintain high efficiency because the half of the engine nozzle is the external atmosphere pressure, so the exhaust expansion rate is compensated automatically.

Design and Simulation

Turbine Fan

The core of the fan is powered by the tool head fan of Bambu Lab X1C 3d printer. It is a 5015 fan (5CM x 1.5 CM), rated at 24V 0.15A, quite a powerful fan. The centrifugal fan has 33 blades (if i counted that correctly.)

Compressor

Compressor compresses the air flow and maintained a high pressure difference in the internal chamber. The compressor is consist of a ring of static blades.

1. The fans converts its kinetic energy to the surrounding air by accelerating the air velocity.

2. While high velocity air flows into the compressor, it goes through a expansion channel, with the direction change dramatically. The velocity will drop while the pressure increased dramatically. (Convert the kinetic energy back to potential energy).

Static compressor.

An example of pressure gradient increased when passing by the compressor, at 5000rpm. (its a pity that the software couldn’t show X and Y velocity magnitude but only a single axis, cannot visualize the velocity here. )

High pressure chamber

High pressure chamber is a space that stabilize the air comes out of compressor. It has several static blades that split the ring chamber into smaller sections. So the vortex and turbulence generated by the compressor can be settle down quicker. We need the air as stable as possible before it reach the exhaust, because vortex or turbulence will break the “thin high-velocity smooth airflow” easily.

Pressure gradient, the high-pressure chamber can maintain a 10~15 Pa pressure in 5000 RPM.

The turbulence will reduced near the nozzle.

Accelerating channel

Accelerating channel is the opposite to the compressor, it convert high-pressure, low velocity air flow to low pressure high, velocity air flow.

For a jet engine, here is the position of turbine fans

In this channel, air pressure decrease while air speed increased dramatically.

Aerospike nozzle

Now we have a ring of thin high velocity flow, but the ring of low doesn’t go far unless it can transfer its energy to the surrounding air. Where the aerospike nozzle come into place.

In a regular blade-less fan, they have a much larger rings so can accelerate as much air as possible.

The thin airflow follows the surface of aerospike nozzle because of Bernoulli’s principle.
As the airflow goes forward, the ring is getting smaller and smaller near the tips of aerospike, then the air got a second velocity boost, finally result in a single high velocity stream. This is actually very interesting, I learnt that only until I saw the simulation results.

Because the air move so quickly around the nozzle surface, the pressure decreases and the static air around the nozzle is pulled by the high velocity flow. So the steam is scale up multiple times.

The result of the fan is a narrow and high velocity air stream which can be pointed at an exact location.

More info and original designs can be found here: GitHub - majianjia/aerospikes-fan: A fan with aerospike nozzle that powered by Bambu Lab X1C toolhead turbo

Demo Video here: https://youtu.be/unEyynxkuZI

6 Likes