AMS (4port hub) and "external free spool" on free port?

Is it possible (without an additional splitter, etc.) to connect the cable to one of the free ports of the 4-port hub and print without selecting the “use AMS” option? Of course, this is not automatic in any way, no autoloading etc, just to avoid an extra splitter and possibly a jam point. HUB has free ports and is a splitter - so “why not use it”?

1 Like

I’m thinking no. The buffer is a spring loaded device that the AMS motors drive the filament into. There is a switch on the spring. If you watch it when it’s printing, the extruder will pull filament from the buffer until the switch is made then the AMS will drive filament into the buffer to make the switch again. Could be the switch is made when it’s relaxed or compressed, I’m not sure about that. If you deselect the AMS, that won’t happen, it will be all about the extruder. With the AMS selected, it won’t work as the filament present switch in the AMS drive unit and in the splitter hub inside the AMS won’t be made so you will get a fault.

I’m using this splitter and so far I’ve had no issues with the caveat that I’ve not used the spool port, Printables
In fact, it’s been so transparent that I had to check to make sure it’s still there. I did have to print it with normal supports, trees didn’t have a good grip on the build plate and the whole thing came off the bed.

I know how it works (mechanically). And why is the spring moving - because the wire coming out of the AMS is stationary, the extruder takes the wire “from the buffer”, shortening the distance between the AMS tube and the printer tube (and the spring between them shortens). When it is shortened to the end - AMS gives the appropriate length of wire to release the spring.

Apart from the software issues - if there was no AMS (connected spool simply standing loose, rotating freely) - the spring should not be working at all, because it would still feed freely. Alternatively, if the spool jammed or put too much resistance to rotation - it would be compensated (to some extent) by shortening the spring in the hub. So much for hardware - no magic here.
That’s why I’m asking the question here - what will happen with the software. When I choose to print “no ams” and yet HUB:

1. will see a wire on the input that has no AMS (so it may throw an error)
  2. it is commanded to print without AMS so it should have no wire state in the hub (should all be retracted to AMS) so it can throw an error (hub jam/wire retract jam)
  3. What if this spring does move during printing - or does it throw some error (because it doesn’t expect it)…

In general - it all depends on the software. If such a printing mode was explicitly provided for in the firmware - it would be possible to select (if you have a 4port hub and free ports) “print without AMS, wire in port 3 or 4)” it would be perfect …

Why not try it and let us know how it goes? I would be interested in your results.

Because I dont have 4port hub and second AMS (yet).