AMS Case Redesign

Is there any plans, or has it been done, to redesign the AMS cast with a bottom panel to get to the PTFE tubes to remove a stuck piece of filament so we don’t have to take the whole thing apart to get to it? I have already lost one screw for holding the mechanical part inside. What should be less than 5 minutes work can turn into a long issue trying to get the mechanical stuff out and unplugged, just to have to turn around and get everything plug back in and screwed down.

1 Like

I’m at the point where I’m going to try and figure out a way to do this myself. I’ve had to take mine apart so many times I can do it in my sleep now. This is a feature that really needs to be included in my opinion.

Making the cables another 20 cm longer would be another consideration as well. An access hole in the bottom would be the best option.

AMS is probably the bottleneck of the X1 series system. It has been almost the only part that I need to attend to from time to time in an otherwise care-free printer.

If I were Bambu Lab, I would take a second look at its design and/or manufacturing. Too many connections/joints for the filament to get stuck. Or better materials or tighter precision control in manufacturing can alleviate some problems?

While at it, make it more resilient to filament tangles, or have a way to untangle filament that is not wound up properly in the spool. Make it possible to use cardboard spools, and make it easier for users to remove stuck filament like OP has suggested.

I haven’t had those same issues. My only complaint is the #1 feeder gets eaten away and needs to be replaced more than I’d like. I’ve started using other feeders as the default, but it is annoying to have to select a certain feeder for the basic stuff on nearly every print. Personally, I’d like a default feeder option in slicer.

I’m a little torn on the cardboard spool compatibility. If they modify it to use them, the mess you’d have to clean up after a few rolls would be an annoyance. I’m not looking for extra work. I’d much rather rip the sides off and add the refill spools (to compatible rolls), rather than deal with shredded cardboard everywhere in the unit. Because of that problem, I would use it with plastic only spools so adding compatibility wouldn’t change the usage for me.

As for the OP’s suggestion, a second panel on the bottom, that quickly gives you access the replacing the PTFE tubes should be high on the list of improvements. I have replaced one tube as precautionary maintenance because I was replacing a feeder, but I’m sure that would have started giving me trouble 3 or 4 rolls later.

Depending on how they redesign it, cardoard spools don’t have to be threaded. For example, the AMS Light in the A1 series can use cardboard spools. But let’s not get too deep into the weeds on this. Bambu Lab should know more about all sorts of issues with the AMS than any one of us users since they received support tickets. Their engineers can come up with a solution.