Ams could not get the Filament back at switching

And that picture took me a few tries to show the wear

It is not easy to see without filament in the funnel
You’ll need to look very closely to see it

What happens is the feed gear does not engage on the filament as it’s off to the side, you’ll notice the gear is only so wide then it’s smooth shaft

The funnels are cheap too, cheaper than the whole assembly

1 Like

Something like this fix the issue (or at least prevent it from happening as fast on the new ones)?

Bambu AMS Feeder Protector / Adapter

2 Likes

Yes !!!
Thank you bro
I’m printing those tonight

1 Like

Let us know how it goes. There are a couple more on Printables, but this one appears to be the best.

I’d assume this will only protect brand new ones and won’t fix ones that are already problematic, yes? I don’t think I’ll get my new ones until next week, but I’ll print these up and see what happens.

My new funnels show up tomorrow

I’m printing off 4 of the adaptors right now

Making them orange with white at .16mm

40 minutes :timer_clock:

I should add that my AMS did this on day two of ownership and the first time I tried to use the third slot. Which means no wear on rollers nor where they dirty. I haven’t looked into the funnel recommendation, but if that is the case that would mean mine was defective from the factory.

This problem recurred a few times, but I used the plier trick by pulling back the filament with brute force and have been running out of the third slot without issues since. It took quite a bit of force to manually assist the filament pull back hence the pliers. I tried doing it with my fingers and couldn’t get it pull back. I had to use pliers.

I don’t like the orange and white :man_facepalming:

It’s such an easy quick print I’m doing 4 more in just white PLA

Round 2…

Just did one in CF and red, and interestingly enough, didn’t have any retraction issues on the same #1 spot that has been giving me trouble all day. :man_shrugging:

Also not feeling how it looks (gotta figure out how to make it purge more red on these, and use .4 nozzle, think), so I’m just going to do 4 all black for now.

What kind of supports/support settings are you using on these? The bottoms of my tiny parts like this are usually pretty janky.

No supports, automatic brim

My first 4 I forgot to turn on pressure advance and turn off flow caliberation

2nd set went nice all in white, fit feels good

I opted for the PTFE tube style, designer says he doubts Cap. tube will fit but it fits perfect off my build plate

I’m going to hit start on a print then it’s lights out for me and hopefully when I wake up in the morning everything worked out with no goofy errors

Oh, did you do these face down? They aren’t completely flat (and I got a pop up that some parts were floating), so I figured face up with supports was the way to go.

100% face down auto brim

That’s why my multi color looks like a melted then refrozen orange Creamsicles :frowning:

White is ok but in hindsight black would look better

I also notice with them on I can easily push the feed gear forward and slide the filament in with ease

Thanks again for dropping the link to this file, it’s awesome

1 Like

@Matt and @Jrock to the rescue!! That’s perfect!! Thx to both of you, off to print these today!!

1 Like

I was having issues getting the original one I linked to to look good face down because it wasn’t a flat part. Tried this remixed flat version face down last night with much better results.

Going to try it on a cool plate next to see how it looks.

I still can only paint the first layer red on these. I need to figure out how to paint multiple layers of the logo so I can get it brighter. Probably not possible in the slicer and has to be done in CAD.

Bambu AMS Feeder Protector / Adapter Remix

1 Like

That’s why I just said fug it and went with a single color

And they work so nice, even makes loading fresh filament into the feeder easier as now we can push forward with ease and slide it in with zero resistance

That wasn’t meant to come across as sexy sounding as it did lol

1 Like

Having the same issue when the x1 changes filament but it’s random. I have had broken filament in the extruder also. Usually though there is no clog or broken filament. All I have to do is remove the bowdwn tube from the coupler in the rear, pull the filament slightly which is not stuck, put the tube back in the coupler an press retry. It always works after that. I can’t figure it out as the filament is never stuck unless it’s a true broken filament. If I try and pull from the first stage feeder it’s tight and can’t move the filament. Easy workarount to just pull the filament but very counter proguctive to have to keep doing it. I hope this gets figured out.

1 Like

Somebody here who use the protectors with ptfe-tubes?
Today I am printing with all the four colors and while sitting next to the printer I could see how the spool of one color hitted the lid. It looks like the marks at the filament were hanging at the tube and the filament could not move.
At first I shortened the tube close above the protector, but it does not work. After this I removed it and had no problems with the spool at all.
By the way, there are only 25% left at the spool, the others ar 50%+…maybe this combination is a problem?!

I recall someone pointing out the angle changes as the reel empties. I too have noticed the reel jumping but only on almost empty reels (weight??)

How long of a tube are you using on the release button? I haven’t had a chance to really check out the design of the replacement buttons but I had the thought I wanted to check the entry angle. The original is aimed straight up with a sloped entry.

I was thinking of using the button with the PTFE tube and was thinking I’d use a slightly longer piece but curve it towards the reel.

I also considered using Capricorn tubing since it’s more slippery and less flexible, but perhaps some flex would be good as the reel changes size …

I imagine a lot of problems like this will get fixed next release of the machine (v2). The problem of being an early adopter … :grin: We get to play lab rat.

At this time, the spools weight (with filament) was round 500g. At the moment it should be slightly under 400g and makes problems everytime it changes to this color. I think it could also be a problem with the combination of empty spools and small outer diameter (198mm with this spool).

At my first try, the ptfe-length was about 20 mm. Now I have only 5 mm I think.

I will try to think about it and how a better solution could look like.

After @sledmanjones pointed out a different extruder bracket in this thread I started poking around for a better design, since a lot of people were reporting that theirs were breaking pretty quickly.

I found this one, with a ton of downloads and a perfect rating. It’s a remix of a couple other designs: X1 / P1P PTFE Tube Guide

I printed it out in PAHT-CF, and haven’t had a single AMS reloading issue since. Only takes a moment to install.

3 Likes

Hey Bud! :notes:You’re my hero :notes: (he gushes in his best fAnboZ voice … LOL)

I saw another version of this weeks ago and tagged it to get back to but this one’s even better!

That looks like BL PAHT CF, yes? I know you run a ton of it. EDIT: NM, I read the thread you referenced and the very last one says someone used it for a while and was fine.

Is the inside smooth as the CF is a touch rough? I think I’ll use my BF ASA as it tends to be a bit slicker. Thx again. :+1:

1 Like