AMS death grip

Slot 1 of my AMS is locked, I cannot pull the filament out or push it in no matter how hard I try. I’m getting the filament stuck in extruder error, but there’s nothing stuck in there. I’ve tried powering off, disconnecting the AMS, etc. But nothing works. Help!

Hi,

If it is stuck in the extruder have you heated it before you try and pull out the filament? Also have you shone a torch under all the feeder tubes so you can see if the filament it actually through to the extruder? I once had a jam on the hub on the rear of the printer but it presented as an AMS block.

Josh

Some times there is a filament piece left in the AMS , the only way to fix it put the AMS apart, it happens to me from time to time ( not very often as stopped using some of the cheap PLA) But even the good ones if has not been dried or/and other factors could cause it. And yes make sure that you heated the head but also you can cut the filament outside just to be able to disconnect the AMS and then using the external fillament check if everything is ok with the PTFE tube an printer head.
If the problem is in the Extruder you may need to open it as well

It is not a big deal , apart from the first time you do it and understand how the AMS works
There is a trouble shooting in bamu wiki , but i think this one is quicker and easier to follow : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjAco4BvD-E
If it happens that is in the extruder, then follow this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLlT1RV-oJE

EDIT: there are some gears here and there and with out knowing don’t just blindly pull. For example if you heat the head try to use E movement instead of pulling and you can combine a pulling bit , but not from the ams only outside Do not use too much force if that is needed better disassemble the path

I have taken apart the entire AMS with no clog. Then I disconnected the AMS entirely and my printer still is giving me the “filament is stuck” error, so it is unlikely it has anything to do with the AMS. But you would think that Bambu would provide us some way to reset the first stage feeders because my AMS slot 1 is still locked. I still have not succeeded in removing the “filament is stuck in extruder” error and am trying to disassemble the extruder gear.

I have had a piece of filament get jammed in the feeder and the only way I managed to remove it was to disassemble the feeder and push the piece out with a “NoClogger” tool. I have no idea how it got stuck in the first place.

1 Like

What is a “noclogger tool”? I had that happen to me too just a few days ago, I also have no idea how it got stuck in the feeder and it was a nightmare to grab the filament out.

@RocketSled had a good idea about using 1.5mm piano wire to clear the AMS

2 Likes

NoClogger the must-have 3D printing tool – noclogger.com

Even with this, it was difficult to free the stuck filament. This part is cheap - the “feeding funnel” is $7.99 in the US store - so it doesn’t hurt to have a spare on hand.

First thing to try when you get a filament stuck in extruder error is to disconnect the Bowden tube between the AMS Hub/buffer and the extruder and see if you can pull the filament back from the extruder by hand, if you can then do a retry with the filament pulled manually back and if you still get the error then there is likely something stuck in the filament sensor. If you can’t pull the filament back then there is an issue with your filament cutter or something wedged in the extruder.
If you can pull it back manually and the AMS pulled the filament back when you hit the retry AND the error cleared then you may have an issue with too much friction in the passage between the extruder and the AMS.

I have figured out the solution to the “death grip” and I don’t see it anywhere else, so ill post it here so that hopefully anyone else who has this problem will find this thread.

Take apart the AMS, there are a number of tutorials online explaining how to do this. Then take ita step further. Remove the AMS hub (see picture) by removing two screws on top of it and two screws on the bottom of it. Then press hard where I drew in the red arrow is and also on the opposite side, then pull the stuck filament out! In the second picture you can see the stuck filament going in and out of the hub.

3 Likes