AMS fails to detect loaded filament at power on

I have had the P1S with AMS for over a week and noticed from the start that the first spool feeder does not detect the already loaded filament when the AMS is switched on. By wiggling the filament between the spool and filament inlet, the feeder is activated and the filament is then detected.
This prevents me from using my first spool when I turn on the printer from a distance with a smart plug.
I’m wondering if there is a solution or if a new part is needed.

Have you read the wiki page?

The checkbox to detect on startup may not be ticked on in yours.

Yes, AMS settings, update on start up is ticked
The other three spools are detected as expected during powering up.

Thanks for the link, didn’t see it before.

In that case it sounds like there’s possibly a feeder sensor issue. Have you tried swapping the filaments around between slots? It could be a bad RFID chip on the spool. If all else fails, create a support ticket.

Swaped spools and again is the first spool not detected at startup.

After using different spools the issue is almost every time at start the first spool is not detected.

Same thing is happening to my slot 2 ever since it had a tangle during a multicolor print with a rigid luminous pla. On startup it doesn’t detect / register until I tug on the filament, and then it will load.
I feel like the AMS needs to be taken apart but I don’t want to, or know what to look for.
I hope someone has a solution soon, otherwise it’s just an inconvenience at the time of start up

Logged in a ticket and this is the answer so far.
I don’t really want to tinker, but this seems doable.

To troubleshoot the issue, you can try removing the first stage feeder from slot 1 to check if its cable is loose. If it is not loose, you can then switch the first stage feeder from slot 1 to slot 2 and observe if the problem move to slot 2 with the first stage feeder.

The link below will help you remove the first stage feeder.

https://wiki.bambulab.com/en/x1/maintenance/replace-first-stage-feeder

Thanks for sending this, I might try this soon.
Did you test it out yet?

Yes, tested and worked.
Basicly is what they want you to do is swap 1st and sn2 feeder to see if the problem moves to the new feeder position and maybe you would need a new feeder.
For me the problem went away aftrer the swap.
Acualy is what I expected seeing the electric connectors are not locked.
But still I swapped the feeders for the experiance and pushed all the connecters in place. I trust they stay in place now the printer is at his possition.
Hope this helps.

Cool, I’m glad it worked for you, I’ll give it a shot - thanks!

Did you try swap the foulty feeder?

After the swap its was working.
But weeks later the problem came back at the same feeder.
I have to go back to BL support for advice.

@MechanicMark i recently had this issue, the feeder is dud. It’s borderline if they give warranty as it’s a wear item. Swapping out the feeder and see if the issue follows was the basic test. I pulled down my old one and there was no significant wear on the sensor magnet/stubb area. Be aware that sometimes the button/feeder mods that clip on can cause some issue.

I am having the Same problem on a brand new P1S combo printer. What a piece of junk for an “out of the box ready to go 3D printer!” Is Bsmbulabsceven watching these forums? I’ve yet to be able to print anything as can’t get any of the filament spools in the AMD to load.

@user_880460842 Sounds like you’re having a problem? Majority of issues with AMS/filament feed can be solved quite easily and out of that a good percentage can be avoided with good habits. It isn’t great that you’ve had this first day, but if you can be more specific and show what is happening with any error messages that would help. The Bambu Wiki is a really good source for help before you go any further, it is well written and can help wrap your head around the individual parts and what they may be doing wrong. It also helps us understand whats going on and if there is a common problem occurring.

Scroll down to the troubleshooting areas below:

AMS Wiki AMS | Bambu Lab Wiki

PIS Wiki P1 Series | Bambu Lab Wiki

1 Like

Thanks, Yup, very disappointed in this printer.
It’s not as plug and play as advertised.
I see so many problems with this printer in the forum it’s just ridiculous. No reason for this mess.
The software isn’t much better. Software interface is terrible.
I finally got it to feed filament after jacking around with it for a few hours. This thing is a piece of dirt in my view. I will probably end up sending this thing back and trying to get my money back.
I was hoping to buy a good quality 3D printer but this P1S Combo isn’t that.

Well glad you found a solution and don’t need any help. Cheers :+1:

1 Like

The solution is to send it back.

1 Like