AMS filament type & color selection issue

Crossposted to https://github.com/bambulab/BambuStudio/issues/1744

I found a glitch in the filament selection setup on the new AMS firmware.

If I select on the printer that a filament is manufacturer “Generic” and type “PLA - Silk”, then it converts it to Bambu PLA - Silk when loaded in Bambu Studio. There isn’t even an option to select “Generic PLA Silk” on the AMS screen in Bambu Studio, even though there IS an option for that in the project filament selections.

Also seems like the new interface takes away the advanced color picker, which is a probelm for me as it does not give enough options for colors (If I have brown, beige, silk gold, silk copper, orange, and yellow all loaded, it’s basically impossible to pick “different” colors for all these on the AMS, even in Studio)

This picture shows the AMS selections for the plastic I have loaded (a black silk PLA)

This picture shows the view in Bambu Handy - this one is correct!

This one shows the view in Bambu Studio - where it converts it to Bambu PLA Silk, which then uses the Bambu PLA profiles instead of the Generic PLA profiles

This is then compounded by the fact that even when selecting “PLA - Silk” the quick view displays on the printer HMI and Bambu Studio just say “PLA” which is frustrating to say the least. 4 extra characters (or two lines, one with “base” material type, and one with subtype would be awesome)

2 Likes

I had the exact same thing happen to me. I thought I was doing something wrong. But now that I think about it this didn’t happen until the last firmware update. I am also using BS v1.6.0.2 which is the 2nd beta.

You should report this on Github I don’t think the Dev’s read this forum.

Yep, I was very confused to find available settings on the machine that werent in the studio!

Issue has been reported on the git repo as well, crosspost link at the top of my main post here.

BS has a setup screen where you tell it what filaments you want to make available in the dropdown menu. The same selection allows BS to cross-match with the printer.
This feature is there in order to prevent a very-long drop down list every time you want to select a different filament - that is if you only use 2 or 3 filament types and that’s it.

To select it, click on the GEAR icon in the FILAMENT section of the left side of the BS screen. Then check mark all the filaments you want BS to be able to utilize. Generic PLA Silk is in there…
you’ll notice in my screen I pasted below, i don’t have it selected… Being un-selected BS is “not allowed to use it”, and so picks the next closest alternative.

1 Like

I have everything in that list selected, but “Generic PLA Silk” is not available in the AMS dropdown on Studio. it IS available in the slicer filament selections, but not in the AMS filament selections on Studio only.

I posted my screen from that settings dialogue in BS. It clearly shows it as available, but I have it unchecked.
when you say "“Generic PLA Silk” is not available in the AMS dropdown on Studio."
Can you post your screen grab of the same dialogue?

Just to try it - I went into my menu and checked the box next to Generic PLA Silk

I then went to the AMS selection and clicked on “position 1” to get the drop down to select it. And there it was:

I then selected it, and there it was:

I’m not at my desktop at the moment but that dialog is not the correct one. Where you are showing filament selection is in the project filament settings, that works fine on my machine too.

The dialog I’m talking about is in the device tab ams filament selection.

You can also replicate the issue I am seeing by setting a filament to generic pla silk on the printer itself, then telling studio to resync ams filaments (second button from the right on the filament line on studio) when it resyncs you will see that the wrong filament type is retrieved from the ams.

Now that I’m back at my computer, here are the various dialogs in Studio. You can see that while it is possible to select silk in the project interface, it is NOT possible to select it in the AMS interface, which leads to the wrong profiles being used if “resync AMS filaments” is used.

Here’s the filament selection page:

Here is the filament list when manually configured:

Here are the three silk filaments, as set on the printer itself (viewed through Handy)

Here is what those look like on Bambu Studio in the AMS options area

If I use the “Resync AMS” tool, there is what is displayed. Note that although Handy and the printer itself correctly show Generic PLA Silk, Studio converts this to Bambu PLA Silk.
Before resync all button pressed:

After Resync All:

Hello, I am having the same problem.
Anyway the X1C printer is not able to store the selection of “Generic PLA Sink”, infact everytime I confirm the selection in the filament tab of the printer menu and then go back to the same menu, it shows “Bambu PLA Silk”. So, this is a problem of the firmware of the X!C printer and it do not depends by Bambu Studio software.

I’m having the exact same problem.

1 Like

This issue totally tripped me up today. I went through on both the machine and in the studio and changed it 3 times and every time I would sync it changed all silk filaments from generic to bambu.

Although it’s reading as bambu silk, it’s still using my temp presets that I set for the generic silk. So I don’t think it’s actually changing anything other than the name.

I am having a different issue but applies to the AMS filament colors. In the AMS options area of the Bambu software it show the color of the filament by a color dot that you manually input. I am a color blind person and cannot see what color those dots are. Is there anywhere in the software that tells me in text what color filaments I have loaded?

When you place the filament into the AMS, record somewhere the mapping of slot number to filament color. The color circles in bambu studio don’t really mean anything, they’re just a (useless to you) indicator to remind the user what color they set there. Having a slot number to written color mapping somewhere is a functional replacement. The slot numbers should show up in bambu studio for you to choose to print with. A1-4, B1-4, C1-4, D1-4

my Studio filament options 1-4 are 100% aligned with what’s in the printer. Including non-Bambu filaments that I configure on the printer itself. I sync up and studio shows what the printer has.
if I change any one of the 4 filaments on the printer and re-sync in Studio, the updated studio information show as on the printer.

I haven’t tested every single possible filament, but for those I’ve tried, it’s 100% aligned.

Sorry I can’t help - my device seems to be working just fine.