AMS gears tangled during first time use

Just setup my AMS and put in the supplied filament into the first slot. Pressed load filament and it immediately got tangled withing the first set of gears. I see no way of getting the filament out.

Help!

Check out the Wiki section on AMS: AMS | Bambu Lab Wiki

Specifically:

1. AMS loading&unloading failure troubleshooting | Bambu Lab Wiki
  2. Dismantling and cleaning the AMS filaments hub | Bambu Lab Wiki

Perhaps something there will help you figure out the cause and show how to disassemble to extract the filament.

OK, so you are saying that on my first filament install I need to do a full dismantle of the AMS to to clear out the filament? That’s terrible. I did see that Wiki and it makes no sense to do that on a machine that just arrived.

I appreciate your response and if I had been using the system for some time and then ran into problems I can understand that, but the first time? The other filament slots loaded without error.

Steve

I’m just a user like you, not official support, and trying to help by pointing you to some useful info.

I’ve not seen filament jammed in the AMS gearbox internals (if I understand you correctly), but there are not a lot of options other than to carefully remove screws and bits to unravel the jam.

My experience with the AMS has been faultless, other than discovering that FormFutura cardboard filament rolls with a 3D printed rim strip don’t fit inside the AMS. FYI - cardboard rolls don’t turn nicely inside the AMS. I printed the sample spool (two parts) and a reusable spool sleeve and wound the FormFutura filament onto the Bambu spool and it’s worked fine in the AMS. If you do this, make sure you put the small locking piece inside the spool to stop it coming apart and causing a bird’s nest.

Thank you for your detailed response.
I’ve been printing for 10 years using various machines. I’m more than willing to maintain my machines and fix things that go wrong. I’ve been using the Prusa MMU and went through all the learning curves required. I’ve also read previously the potential issues with the AMS and was fully prepared to continue my learning experience.
The issue I have here is the ‘out of box’ situation with no simple straight forward way to contact support for information or parts (if needed). Even the support ticket for the AMS tangle (which does not seem to be common in the area that I encounter it) does not have any clear way to get the ticket in without dumping the files to a micro SD (which does not come with the machine).

My initial impression is that the gears for slot one turned backwards (like an unload) and took the manually insert filament for a load and rolled it into the gears. So, if I go through the whole dismantle process and put it back, I could have the same problem.

Tramwork,
Steve

Steve, I don’t understand this. Can you elaborate or post a photo? I’m curious!

The green filament is under the clear plastic. There was a bit more that I tried to cut out but no room.

That is bizarre! I think it could be dismantled and reassembled in 15 minutes with the help of this: Replace the AMS feeding funnel | Bambu Lab Wiki

Did you have the external spool PTFE tube connected to the AMS perhaps, and pushed filament from outside the AMS? Or was this from a spool inside the AMS?

I did see those wikis but felt a brand new machine should not be tampered with without a ticket and proper support to get root cause. It’s almost as if when I put in the filament for the very first time it tried to do an unload (my opinion) instead of a load.

Spool was inside the AMS. I’ve successfully loaded 2/3/4 individually without a problem as well as loading from the external reel directly to the head.

At least my other Lidar issue seems to have disappeared today after numerous attempts and reboot yesterday and I complete printing a benchy from slot 3.

Thank you for your interest. and time.

Teamwork,
Steve

FYI-I had some really thin tools and some special grip thin pliers and was able to beak the clogged filament into pieces and pull it out. Loaded fine afterwards. I did send a ticket in, so, I’m curious at to what I’ll get out of the ticket.

Thanks for letting me vent a bit here.

Teamwork,
Steve

Your situation is not common. So normally people would not dismantle their AMS so soon. I have been printing for about 4 months and haven’t really had any AMS issues.

I tend to agree, so I’m curious what support comes back with. At least I’m up and running now.