AMS mind of its own with color order

Received my X1C yesterday, and it’s been superb. I’ve been working with small multi-colored models. Each color has their own set of layers (no colors share the same layer). After assigning the colors to my model in studio, then sending the plate over to the AMS, the AMS either stars off with the wrong color, or in another case, ends with the wrong color. Seems like the first two times I used studio they synced perfect. Now I got it working again (currently printing) but I had to exit and start all over and change the colors on the X1-C’s panel and sync that with studio. The whole process on something that should be straight forward is a kind of convoluted.

Well, one thing you might not be aware of is that it’s best if you let it sleep, not power off, as it can “lose” the order on a reboot.

The Bambu branded stuff has an RFID, but any other things have to be re-input.
Note you can setup Filaments in Studio then quickly access them. When you send to print it will ASK you to assign which Filament to which slot.

The AMS works well, but like all computer controlled devices, it has it’s quirks. :wink: :grin:

You might search for AMS posts here, there’s been a lot of discussion and many Pros have shared their tips.

Thanks for the reply! Yes, aware of sleep mode (just wish the extruder light would rest). I hadn’t shut it off when I started my 3d print and the color order in which it printed seemed to think my previous model was on the plate. I’m trying to figure out the whole flow. Like, do the colors that are displayed on the X1’s panel have influence on the print, or is that just a cosmetic thing? I was under the assumption that whatever you assign to the model in studio will show up on the X1 Panel that way. I’ll search the threads for more tips as you suggested.

Studio has a filament palette of up to 16 filaments. There is no correlation between numbers in that palette and AMS slots (except when you sync the palette from the AMS which I consider to generally be a bad idea).

When you start a print studio tries to match used palette filaments with AMS slot contents by filament type and color. You can check on and manually change that matching before starting the print.

Thanks. Figured out where the problem was. Despite assigning colors with slot #'s to the model correctly, there’s a final dialogue that pops up to ask what colors are in each slot. Kind of redundant, but anyway. Love the AMS and X1.

Only redundant if you think the studio palette corresponds to AMS slots and it doesn’t.

If it did and you wanted to print a project again you would have to change the AMS load to match the studio palette or change the studio palette to match the AMS load and re-color your model to suit the changed palette.

Yeah, that messed me up too. AMS Documentation could use a bit of polish, but we’ve got a pretty responsive community. BL has so many other things on their hands I doubt updating / filling in the Docs isn’t a super priority. :smiley:

Not sure if this applies but you can set studio to match the AMS by clicking the icon that is probably supposed to represent the AMS. It’s on the left in the horizontal band that has Filament/Flushing volumes/+/-/AMS Icon/gear

But to raise awareness. If you sync with AMS than it will fall back to the stock presets for the filaments as entered into AMS as well. If you have dialed in use presets for your filament (which I suggest to have for crisper and better prints) you have to manually change the filament presets afters.
So in the end, you may only gain the benefit of having the colors synched. Otherwise a quick look into the device tab gives you the same information without messing your settings :slight_smile:

1 Like

So it’s best to just assign the colors when it prompts you in studio before it’s ready to print, and not bother changing colors on the control panel? Referring to non-Bambu filament.

A tricky question indeed :slight_smile: From my experience and workflow point of view: I have a set of filament presets as well as different colors in my BS workspace. With that I assign different colors to the required components.
At that stage, I don’t care about AMS slots, etc. Once I send the file to the print job - if the color choice as well as the material type matches - it already pre-assigns the AMS slots to the colors chosen in the project.

For example I use 3 colors - red, blue and green. Those are in BS in slot 1, 2 and 3.
In AMS I have green in 1, red in 2 and blue in 3. In the screen when you send it to the printer you will see the colors are assigned to the correct slots. Here you can still re-assign. You could even say that if you want to change the blue with for example purple (which is in slot 4 of the AMS) - assign the ‘blue’ color from the project to the AMS slot 4.

Hope that makes sense

1 Like

Yes and studio initially matches by filament type and color so it often gets it right.

This is an area Bambu needs to work on. We should be able to load AMS slots with custom profiles to allow studio to make exact matches and probably warn you when it can’t.

Well said!

It does make sense … now. After I puzzled it all out, it’s sure not intuitive.

Do you know exactly how much the color selected matters when setting up the flushing? Like I had two browns (wood) one light and one dark. There’s a heck of a lot less difference than say, white.

I know if you calculate Flushing Volume it will change, but do you have any idea what happens if you use Custom colors - entering actual HSV or RGB values to actually match the filament? Does that shift values?

If you don’t I’ll play a bit and report back.

BTW - Love the beard, I looked like that in the Navy. Slightly shorter hair tho’ :laughing:

it seems like it does take the ‘real’ color entered into account when calculating flushing volume. But to be sure, most like one of those programmed the calculation can answer.

I normally let it calculate with a value of 0.5 and ‘nearer’ colors seems the flush a lot less. If you need to be sure that flushing is sufficient I would run a test. Not only the color impacts how much flushing is needed, but also what material was used to achieve the color etc.

Thanks!

I’ve been planning to do a deeper dive on this:

Reduce Purge Waste with Bambu Lab AMS

Wwww.printables.com/model/390414Forum won’t paste, remove extra ‘W’

He’s got a neat mini tower to fine tune. When I get around to it I’ll update here for others.
Cheers!