Ams; not able to grip full spools for reversing

On some filament brands, the AMS powered rollers cannot get a good ‘grip’ on the spool for reversing. It’s not a tube clog, its actually the ability of the rollers to get friction against the spool itself. I cleaned the rollers and the spool edge with iso alcohol, but that d9id not resolve the problem. What’s the solution?

add weight to the core

I have recently had this issue as well with a petg roll that has very narrow sides so little surface contact.

First as mentioned add weight to the spool with inner desiccant holders as one option.

Second respool it onto a bambu empty spool or 3rd for mine but maybe not yours i could print wider outer spool rims. Probably quicker and easier to respool it though.

I have same issue, with a 1 kg ASA spool. It looks very full and it hangs by material on the pulling mechanism, so it does not touch the motorized roller at all.
I guess the only solution is to transfer some material to another spool. Or to use it outside AMS at the beginning.

I find this the best method. I tried a few off brand spools in the beginning and got sick of them random jumping and dancing about at the most critical point, its impossible to walk away from the print and so inconvenient. Ended up printing the bambu spools in downtime and respooling my new stuff when it arrives, the drying before storage.

Ok I am going to test this for weight. I have used weight in cardboard but the plastic spools are smooth so I have printed petg desiccant containers that go through the middle of the spool and I am adding steel bearings inside.

The primary issue with workarounds are sometimes you introduce other issues. Adding weight can load the motors more than typical if there is over 1kg combined, there is also the rollers which are going to suffer more wear. The AMS is geared and programmed to spin back and tension the filament.

Having the correct dimension spool (width and circumference) works for me 99% of the time, I don’t remember the last time a spool danced or spat filament all over the place.