AMS' Plastic Top Stress Fraction (?)

Does anyone have a solution that will reduce the stress/bowing that occurs when opening the AMS’ plastic top (see photo). I have 4 AMS units and all of them bow noticeably when opening. I love that the seal is obviously tight, but maybe a cross-support bar is needed?

And in case anyone is wondering, yes, the side clips are flipped to the open position before opening :blush:.

Is the rubber gasket that sits in the lower channel binded up or out of place anywhere
I would check in particular around the back corners on the hinge sides
Picture is just to show the channel where the gasket sits

Appreciate the suggestion. Checked the rubber gasket. It seems fine to me (???) but I’ve included pics below in case someone sees something that I’m missing. For what it’s worth, this happens on all 4 of my AMS units :astonished:

A couple notes in case it helps…

I do have to push the AMS lid(s) shut on each side and then push in the middle to fully close the top and to ensure I can rotate the locking clips without any issues.

This is happening on all 4 of my AMS units and the issue has existed from day 1 with all of them. Since the plastic top seems brittle (relative), I’m concerned it is just a matter of time before the continued stress when opening, or a bought of my impatience :roll_eyes: ends up causing the top to crack.

Thanks!
D

Here are the other two AMS units … (forum limits to 5 pics per post).

Nothing stands out in the pics but it might be worth while (for peice of mind) to pull the gaskets out and make sure nothing has made it’s way in there.

It is also possible that all of your AMS units were built on a Friday afternoon lol

I didn’t even realize the gasket was in there until I was cleaning my AMS and printer with a vacuum and the vacuum lifted the gasket a touch

I pulled the gasket out, vacuumed the slot it sits in, made sure the gasket was clean, then put it back in the slot

Still though, I’ve never had to apply too much pressure to lock the sides in, certainly not enough to concern me with flexing the plastic lid too much

Perhaps Bambu will give you a replacement lid if you reach out to them ?

Mine is the same way. I have to open it by grabbing the sides of the top, instead of the handle.

Maybe you could try a “dry PTFE lubricant” into the gasket, PTFE dry lubricant is those kind of thing like baking soda that works for everything :smile:

This will reduce the suction which is making the opening harder.

My gasket does not like to let go either. I just lift the lid with the handle slowly while watching it to make sure it releases all the way across the front. Every now and then, I get impatient and open it from the sides after getting it started with the handle.

1 Like

I ended up making a handle for the AMS’ lid. Works well. Still playing with options to make it easier to open from the side. Not happy the “finger hole method” I tried (see picture). Side handles with double-stick tape worked well though and far easier to install.

1 Like