Another filament winder

Hi, I designed a filament respooler that uses a self reversing leadscrew of the type that’s common in industrial cable spoolers. It prints on a single build plate with 500 grams of filament in 20 hours and winds a full spool in <2 minutes.

Details and Fusion360 files are on the Printables page. I’d appreciate any feedback from the community, especially suggestions on how to add drag to the source spool to maintain filament tension

https://www.printables.com/model/466883-pastamatic-filament-spool-winder-for-bambu-lab-x1c

11 Likes

I watched this and the assembly video, I’m printing it now. Looks like a really thought out build.

2 Likes

At work they have free wheeling rolls and the lay a burlap type cloth with some weight inside of it laying on the roll.

1 Like

I use this all the time. It’s one of the simplest models to print, assemble and use. Nothing complex. Bearings are super cheap on Amazon. I’ve even seen people use 3D printed bearings for it and it worked. Only downside is the TPU “flaps” seem to wear out fast for me, however they are 100% necessary if you don’t want your donor spool to “run away from you” if you need to quickly stop the drill!

What type of TPU did you use for the wipers? GekoPrime mentioned he used 98a but I only have 95a and was wondering if that would be too soft.