Anti-backlash nuts on Z axis

Did someone already thought about installing anti-backlash nuts ?

Or already installed them ?

Does anyone know if the screws have a pitch of 2mm and lead of 8mm ?

1 Like

Anti backlash nuts won’t really have any advantage. The Z axis is always loaded in one direction by gravity.

3 Likes

I designed a set that are 3d printed in pom and require no dissasemly for the installation because after 1900 hours my z has an extreme amount of slop and prints like trash and according to Bambu lab that excessive slop is normal and the clapped out ender 3 print quality is also normal.

Basically you need a low profile anti backlash nut if you wanna use one you have limited space and won’t find anything you can buy that will fit in that compact area. That’s why I designed and printed a set on pom.

You may have too much grease on your screws. Grease causes “stiction” that prevents the nut from from consistently positioning with each movement. If the grease wasn’t getting in the way, as @JonRaymond said, the fact that the Z-axis is always loaded in the same direction by gravity should guarantee a fairly high level of repeatability.

1 Like

And you’ve done that on the Bambu ?

Any pictures ?

Any link to your design ?

It won’t help you. They gotta be printed in pom. And pom not only is pom hard to print but if its heated over 230c it does release formaldehyde gas. So leading and unloading bambu will do this because they don’t allow users to specified temperature for loading and unloading. So you have to have a very calibrated hotend and know exactly what your temps are.

Look very interesting and quite clever.

Did you notice any improvement in print quality ?

Can you confirm that the screws have a pitch of 2mm and lead of 8mm ?

Are you willing to accept to share your CAD model ?

I can print the part in POM, or make them in brass with a CNC, not an issue.

I’m using Solidworks 2024 as CAD software.

Thanks

Yeah it fixed the issue for now of the lead nuts being completely shot and bambu saying that it’s within spec and that the clapped out ender 3 print quality is a perfect example of what the printer is capable of and they don’t see any issue. So bought me some time before I swap out the nuts since thats going to be a big pain since bambu lies to glue stuff instead of designing things right.

Can’t share the file. It was created using my works seat so they own the design and rights and I’m not allowed to share any files. It’s a simple design I could whipe one up at home when I get time.

1 Like

I found that :
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32518758192.html

Perhaps it can be fitted on the Bambu with slight modification.

Could you confirm the rods are pitch 2mm lead 8mm ?

I mean anything can fit if you mod it enough. The issue is you gotta rip everything apart. Then “glue” stuff back together lol. The main thing is you have a very compact area to work in for that. And putting them in won’t be a quick job. That’s why I designed my set how I did patent pending.

According to this person, they won’t help.