Any downside to printing nylon on bambulab's textured build plate?

I’ve been waiting for Bambulab’s high temperature build plate to get re-stocked, but its ETA date keeps slipping. It’s almost a running joke now.

I gather the problem with printing nylon on bambulab’s engineering build plate is that the PEI sticker on the opposite side would bubble up from the high temperature. Is that right? Hence the reason I ask about printing nylon on Bambulab’s textured build plate, as it does not appear to have any stickers. Would the textured build plate work just as well for nylon as the high temperature plate, or is there some gotcha that would arise from using it with nylon? I notice that for its own nylon filament (PAHT-CF), bambulab “recommends” only its high temperature build plate., though it does seem to allow for the use of the enigineering plate or the textured plate, although this does seem at odds with not recommending either one What’s the gotcha that keeps bambulab from recommending them?

There is no reason to think the PEI sticker would bubble. The High Temperature Plate surface is actually a smooth PEI sticker.

Bambu recommends the Engineering Plate, High Temperature Plate, or Textured PEI Plate for PA (nylon) filament, with glue stick. All use the same 100-120°C bed temperature range.

The other Engineering plate has the Cool Plate sticker on the flip side, no issues with sticker bubbles from high temperatures there, either.

I avoid glue stick on the Textured plate simply because it is difficult to apply evenly.

3 Likes

Is there any functional difference then between the high temperature build plate and the cool build plate? They both have a smooth PEI sticker on one side and they both have an engineering build plate on the other. On the other hand, the high temperature build plate costs $6 more than the cool build plate, so it would indeed be ironic if the only difference between the two was their name.

While the plates look almost identical, the cool plate does not have a PEI sheet, it’s a sheet made of a PC material thats only purpose is to print PLA at a lower build plate temperature.

1 Like