It varies by model, but roughly 35% to 45%, not 20%.
True, some are more, some are less. My reference was more about the P1S. But I think all of the prices appear to be much lower than the max tariff. So, unless there is a lower tariff rate specifically for the printers and accessories, there is still some significant tariff bumps coming down the road.
I do think your numbers are a little too optimistic. I don’t think you can do the parts under $300 but even using your numbers, they don’t match up to your end numbers. Also, I see no accounting for tooling, the parts didn’t come out of thin air. Unlike 3D printing, conventional manufacturing takes a substantial cost to get things produced… even in China.
Regardless… let’s say your crazy numbers are right… (which I dispute) do you really think its greedy to bump the price by 15% when they have to pay 145%? That makes NO SENSE. No “greedy” company is going to do that.
I can understand someone being unhappy with them hedging their costs with price hikes on in country products (which I believe is happening), but I don’t think this has anything to do with gouging. I would do the same, sell the pending stock at a slightly elevated cost so I can order a little more at the full tariffed but hedged cost and hope that the issues get sorted out before the hedged stock runs dry. Basically, sell 1000 at +15% so I can order in a smaller 100-unit order at full tariff and hope I can sell them at + 60-70%. These will obviously sell at a slower rate but may get you through the first round of the war.
The bottom line… if it remains at this rate, there will be no Bambu Lab in the US. And that will not take long to materialize.
Update: I see where your calculation is broken, you are using the amount of the tariff as your total price, $540 + 145% is not $780ish, that should be $540 + $780ish. So, your optimistic values end up at a full tariffed cost of $1320’ish not $780. So… using your guess, Bambu is selling the X1C (currently $1499) for less than a 12% profit… really greedy.
Please stop spreading these flawed numbers. Also note… the above is not validating your numbers. I don’t think your numbers are correct in almost any way. I’m just pointing out that you have nuked your own argument.
What about R&D costs?
For companies developing consumer 3D printers, research and development often represent one of the most significant expenditures. While exact figures can vary, R&D expenses in the 3D printing industry can account for a substantial portion of a company’s budget, especially when innovating with new materials, technologies, and features. These investments are crucial for advancing printer capabilities and maintaining competitiveness in a rapidly evolving market.
The P1S went up 35%, the combo 31%.
I think it much more likely they will stop importing them entirely until they can assemble them elsewhere. Depending on model you should expect the existing stocks to go down to zero.
The P1S was $699, and it’s now $799. That’s 14.3%. Am I misunderstanding you?
The pre-tariff price was $599. I guess 33% would be more accurate, was doing it in my head.
Ok, I missed the price drop. I remember my first P1P was $699 and it came down to $599. So, I knew the P1S was always +$100, at a minimum. Didn’t realize they dropped it further since. But wasn’t that a blowout sale price?
Here is a table.
You missed indirect costs of marketing, admin, sales and management wages (to include support people), equipment costs, building costs, depreciation, etc. You cannot price a product on just the direct manufacturing costs or you will go out of business quickly.
Ahh, I forgot R&D costs in my argument, I guess that I put that under etc.
You need more educations. Sorry to say.
You just miss R&D, marketing, support,shipping and lot’s of other services (Bambu Cloud operations). I guess Dr. Tao does not work for 5.51USD/h. Same for the other leading managers, engineers. Otherwise the would already work in the US. and few hundreds USD is now the import tax called tariff. This goes to the US government to fund Elon and the other super rich to be even more wealthy.
@Neotron it becomes more and more abundantly clear that you do not know what you’re talking about with every post you make.
Nobody can prove anyone wrong on this without Bambu opening their books so you are pretty safe from anyone “proving” you wrong. But you’re probably wrong. The costs to run a business are big.
The burden of proof lay upon the accuser. Either you tender proof of your claims or they mean nothing.
Man I’m not sure if you’re trolling this forum at this point. The costs that @Ruby_in_Wyoming and others have mentioned are literally the norm. You’re suggesting that the only cost is the direct manufacturing cost. I’m not sure what business classes you’ve taken, but I assure you things like R&D, marketing, tooling, etc. are not free. This isn’t an American vs Chinese thing, it’s a everything has a cost thing and ALL businesses roll those costs into the sale price of their products. To suggest anything else is naive at best.
Just like Bambu, I guarantee your company doesn’t only account for the direct manufacturing costs of products purchased from China. You get paid right? Where do you think that money comes from? If you haven’t guessed it yet, it comes from the markup of the items sold by your company. The same goes for all employees at your company and the work they do. Whether it’s paying marketing staff, their equipment costs, their software costs, training costs, etc.
Here’s the latest info I’ve pulled together—double-checked everything, and this is accurate to my knowledge.
3D printers like the Bambu A1 fall under HTS code 8485.20.00.00. That’s the classification for machines that do additive manufacturing with plastics or rubber. The base tariff is 3.1%, and if the printer is made in China, it also gets hit with the Section 301 reciprocal tariff, which adds another 25%. This additional duty is enforced using HTS code 9903.88.01, which is part of Chapter 99 in the tariff schedule. So the total effective tariff is 28.1% of the import value.
PLA filament (same goes for PETG) is classified under HTS code 3916.90.3000. That covers plastic monofilament over 1mm in thickness. The base tariff there is 6.5%, and again, if it’s coming from China, there’s an additional 25% Section 301 tariff—this one applied under HTS code 9903.88.02. Total tariff: 31.5%.
Now let’s talk about DDP—Delivered Duty Paid. That means the company pays all the import costs, including tariffs, and ships the product to a U.S. warehouse—either one they own or through Amazon. The key thing is: the tariff is calculated based on what it costs them to produce, not what they sell it for.
Take the A1 (no AMS) for example. If it costs Bambu around $150–$170 to manufacture, then a 28.1% tariff would add about $42–$48 per unit. Add that to the original retail price of $339, and the “adjusted” price with tariff should be around $387. But instead, they bumped it to $499—and now offer a $60 coupon. All that does is drop the price back near where it should’ve been anyway. It’s not a discount. It’s just cleaning up after a markup.
Meanwhile, other companies like FlashForge are still using the De Minimis rule to avoid tariffs altogether by shipping direct to consumers under $800. When that loophole closes (supposedly May 2nd, 2025), they’ll likely switch to DDP just like Bambu—but the difference is, they’re not using tariffs as a cover to gouge people.
I was just thinking about this earlier today. Can you imagine the hundreds of thousands of dollars in RND it took to make the H2D? You’re not paying someone slave wages to design this stuff. Manufacture and assemble, sure, but not the actual design, which is were most of the cost comes from.
On top of that, you guys have to consider BL has to up-front spend this money. They aren’t making any money off this product whatsoever. The dies for all the parts, manufacturing, assembly, shipping, shipping investigations when one gets destroyed in shipping, etc etc… All this is paid up front by BL before you even get one in your hands. [Edit]: After the release of course they begin to recoup costs. But how many units do they need to sell before they recoup everything and start turning a profit? QTY100 units? QTY500? Who knows.
I bought my H2D after the first price increase. I absolutely have no buyers remorse. This thing is awesome. Even if I had bought it after the second price increase, I still wouldn’t have regretted it. And I’m an extremely novice 3D printer person, I bought my P1S in Oct 2024, never having even touched a 3D printer before that. I still don’t know a lot of things… Heck just today I learned there is a measuring feature in Bambu Studio. I had zero interest in learning anything until I got an H2D, now I am slowly self teaching myself everything.
im in spain so that doesnt affect me