Are we missing a support feature?

Hi guys,

I am wondering, if I miss a trick or Orca/Bambu studio a feature.

When printing PLA with PLA Support (formerly known as Support W) or PETG as the support interface @ 0.08 layer height, I receive suboptimal results.

To minimize poop and time the amount of top interface layer is set to 2 and the spacing to 0. Support spacing is set to 2mm. On top of this the slicer usually creates a PLA interface layer underneath the Support material layer.

Top of support:

The non support material layer:

The two support material layers:

These three layers should give a nice even surface to build on top…, but usually not.

As you can see in the picture, the PLA interface layer just creates accumulations on the support structure, which I would not call bridges. Then the 1st layer of support nearly closes the gaps and the second finally creates bridges, but they are still sagging, which shows on the first layer of the print.

So, do I miss a trick? Or would the following features help?:

• Set the amount of non support interface layers (to prepare the bed for the support material)

• Set the speed of the non support interface layers (so one layer might actually create bridges and not just residue)

Print specs:
Bambu grey + PLA support

These are my support settings and I’m getting beautiful prints with it. Althought most times I use Rectilinear as top interface spacing.

Its been a while … sorry
Thanks for sharing your settings. The only difference to my settings is I am using only 2 layers for the interface.
I am just wondering how different your supported surfaces look. Could you share a pic?
Thanks