Bad layer adhesion. Poor print strength on PLA/PLA+

I have received my P1S for xmas, and I’m amazed with how quick and clean it prints.

I’m coming from Ender S1 / Klipper, (so not a newby) - so it is a big jump in terms of speed and quality of the prints.

However I’m struggling with layer adhesion → overall print strength. I have print couple of things already and when there is a model with thin walls that are rising from a flat surface (similar to “L” figure), prints break in hand.

(Model used: ESUN Bambu Lab AMS Cardboard Spool Adapter Ring by DesignCraft - MakerWorld and printed wide model)

I went back to my Ender/Klipper setup (volumetric speed around 6-7mm3/s) and you almost cannot break it by hand (if you try to break the vertical wall from the base of that profile → basically trying to break the “L” figure, where the both lines connect).

Some parameters using on Ender print

• Vol speed - around 6-7 mm3/s
  • Layer height: 0.2
  • Line Width: 0.4
  • 3 walls
  • 4 top/bottom layers
  • 20% cubic infill
  • Max speed: 60 for outer and inner walls
  • Infill speed 130
  • Filament: Sunlu PLA+
  • Filament temp 205
  • Bed temp 60

What i have tried so far on bambu:

1. Using Bamboo filament (new spool), with standard 0.2
  2. Using Sunlu PLA+ filament with eSun PLA+ profile, standard 0.2
  3. Using Generic PLA profile, standard 0.2
  4. Slowing to volumetric speed of 12
  5. Turning off all fans (except part cooling)
  6. Printing with open or closed doors
  7. Dumping nozzle temp to 230 from default (220 Esun PLA+ profile)

Best result i got: when i slowed down to vol speed of 6mm3/s. It is much stronger, but still not the same as Ender (Ender bends more before breaks, Bambu is stiffer and breaks sooner) it is like 90% of Ender strength.

I know that I can increase infill and wall number would help, but that is not the point (for now). Especially as using org Bambu PLA filament and Bambu profile does not make it better.

I’m trying to understand what is the real cause of it. Is it filament or hotend limit? Why a better/more advanced printer cannot produce the same strength as Ender.

I understand that speedy printing produces less strength, but I would never expect how much (in my case).

Am I missing something obvious when trying to print PLA+ at least with Generic profile with vol speed of 17 mm3/s ?

I have an X1carbon and print tons of eSUN pla+ on a daily basis.
I don’t have these issues, and wonder if your filament is wet, or old,but I think you are too cold.
I run a volumetric speed of 23 mm3/s on my user filament settings and print at around 230-245c temp, with the bed at 60c.
205-220 is too cold for pla+, especially when you consider the speed at which we print.

Hi @AlAmantea .
Thanks for suggestion.
Would you be able to share your profile (maybe .3mf file) to I can test on your settings?

I don’t believe it’s allowed here, plus there’s no way to share files here. You can DM me on the discord though.

Are your belts right tensioned? Do load the app spectroid and check frequencies.

1 Like

@no_nickname not sure. that machine has is week old - so i woulnd’t expect they are bad. But, do you have any suggestion how to make sure they are correct ?

I have a similar problem, but ist is only in the layers where die material in changed. I used PETG as support material but only in the layers that touches the prints. So my model broke very very easy in that layers. All other layers are vers vers strong.

increase the purge amount when the filament changes from the support material to your main material to ensure all the support material is cleared out and doesn’t contaminate the main material which would result in poor layer adhesion.

Okay I will try and give feedback.