Bambu desiccant after 5 months

On the Bambu product page, it says the working life of the desiccant is one month. On their wiki it says:

In addition, when it is not replaced for more than 3 months, the desiccant may also leak water, short-circuit, or damage the circuit or electronic components inside the AMS.

This is what my desiccant looks like after almost 5 months. I use the printer quite often.

I was surprised that there was no sign of moisture considering the information from Bambu above. It is just powder, the discoloration on the right side is not in the powder, but is just the glue that holds the two sides together. I am pretty meticulous about how I deal with filament and the AMS, so I would have expected a longer than average usage time. But it is hard to believe that it is this long with absolutely no signs of moisture. I was inspecting the package to see if there was some kind of seal I didn’t remove, but it looks fine.

I always dry new filament and put it in a vacuum heat sealed bag with silica desiccant. I make sure the tabs on the AMS are keeping the lid tightly closed, and when I exchange spools, I take out the old spool, close the lid (without the tabs), then tape the end of the removed filament and remove the tape from the new. I then open the lid, feed the filament end, close the lid and turn the tabs.

From what I’ve read, the BBL desiccant is calcium chloride, which is very cheaply available as snow melt:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Snow-Joe-20-lb-94-Pure-Calcium-Chloride-Ice-Melt-Pellets-MELT20CPP/311687848

I once bought a bag of the stuff to use on my driveway whenever it iced up. I finally had an occasion to use it, but afterward I left the bag open in the garage and forgot about it, not knowing that it had such a strong affinity for humidity. I don’t remember now how long I left it for like that, but later after the weather had warmed up and I finally got around to putting it away I discovered that it had become a bag full of very watery calcium chloride soup. I had to throw it out. You never see anything like that with a silicone desiccant.

So, yeah, I do believe the warning about its potential to leak water.

I presume it’s more effective than silicone desiccant, and that is the reason why BBL chose to use it.

1 Like

That is what I’ve read, that is has a strong desiccant effect. I am not sure of the difference between maximum capacity, but it is supposed to absorb moisture quicker and continue to absorb at a lower humidity level.

It does leak sticky goo, I found some in the bottom of the AMS when I had to open it up to remove jammed TPU.

One of the reasons I use silica gel is because it is easily reusable and readily visible when saturated; you don’t even need the moisture color-changing kind. Try this experiment with a bag of silica gel: Place it in the microwave on defrost for 7 minutes. The silica will dry out and become cloudy. After it cools, place it in a glass of water. It makes a cool sound similar to ice melting. After five minutes or after the “cracking” noise stops, drain the water and pat down the beads with a paper towel. The beads should now look like glass with all the water absorbed. That’s how you can tell even without color changing. You can repeat this process multiple times, although eventually, thermal stress will crack the beads, making them dusty and unusable unless kept inside the bag.

1 Like

I have yet to find a good guide on when to use calcium chloride vs silca gel vs molecular sieves vs whatever else there might be. Some seem to absorb faster than others, but may not be effective at the lower RH levels. I thought it was the calcium chloride that was noted for giving off a white dust onto things. Until I’m able to sort this out, I’m tempted to use all 3 at the same time in overkill amounts just to be sure I’m able to maximally desiccate my filaments.