Bambu Lab X1 - 0.1 Layer Height With 0.4 Nozzle Settings?

Hello,

I have been looking around the forums today and have not come across much info in terms of printing at 0.1 layer height with the 0.4 hardened nozzle.

What would be the recommend Bambu Studio settings for this layer height in the quality section (or other sections) in Bambu Studio?

I have tried the 0.2 nozzle at 0.1 settings, but calibration always gives me the default 0.060 K value which tells be 0.2 nozzle calibration is currently broken. Also the filament change purge causes a lot of issues which I talked about in another thread. So I will stick to the 0.4 nozzle for now.

Thanks!

Pintables Model Used Below:
https://www.printables.com/model/813090-support-stairs-support-test

I don’t typically print sub 0.2 layer height, but I’ve printed all the way down to .05 with success using all other default settings for the 0.4 nozzle. Filament used was Polymaker PolyTerra PLA using Bambu Studio’s settings for it. I was testing to see if it was potentially worth it for printing fine threads and if I needed a 0.2 nozzle in order to print layers that small. Turns it out didn’t matter a bit and the 0.4 nozzle did just fine.

Here is a test print where I printed at 0.05 layer height. Left is 0.4 nozzle and right is 0.2 nozzle. Those are M3 screw threads.

2 Likes

PLA comes out pretty good most of the time I have noticed.

By default Studio settings I am guessing you just changed the one setting below (layer height) to 0.05 then?

The default 120 mm/s speed was not fast I take it.

I have been testing Polys ASA filament and any filament that is not PLA is immediately more challenging to work with.

I am using this pintables model to test the material and support filament. Its a good test and makes use of the AMS to see how your Studio setting changes (or lack there of) effect the print quality.

As I mentioned before, ASA is already more of a challenge and once you start swapping filaments things start to get a little odd with supports collapsing mid print.

I would be interested to see if other people who read this take a hour to print the support model and upload their results here and what settings they are using.

0.08 for me give very nice printed objects. with 0.4 nozzle.
If you use support PLA, i personally never go below 0.16 as it may make it hard for support PLA to stick. Never use ironing when using support PLA as it becomes to glossy and slippery

1 Like

Have you tried printing filament that is not PLA?

:smiley: pu at 0.2 nozzle and 0.08 is a no-go…:smiley:

Here is my ASA attempt with the 0.2 layer height / 0.4 hard nozzle.

Used a 60mm/s speed setting. No layer gap with the HIPS support so the part snapped in half during post processing separation.