Bambu Studio Saves 3MF files when not asked to do so

I use Microsoft 3D Builder to create my simple objects in 3MF format.

When Bambu Studio (v1.7.7.89) loads a model (which it often corrupts by spliting things into multiple separate parts instead of keeping them together and treating as a single object) and then slices it saves the results over another objects 3MF files.

I do not use the workflow features and each object I slice is treated a as a new project - not that I use the project notion either. I have turned off the autosave feature as that was really annoying me. I find that if I try and export as generic 3MF the file is corrupted. The files are showing as being a newer version of 3MF if I load them into Orca Slicer (v1.7.0), but at least it can export to usable 3MF files.

Except it asks you when you import the file if you would like to keep them separate or group them, you chose. Next you can output the .gcode only, again you chose which file type to transfer, also you should start using .step files much easier to work with

Except it doesn’t always ask if I want them considered as a single object, sometimes it just splits my object into component pieces and spreads them all over the workspace. Sometimes it treats the objects nicely as single objects until I try and rearrange them on the print bed using the tool, then it splits them into individual comnponents (after I have set for multiple instances of the object).

Sometimes I save the objects as STL files which don’t get split, but Bambu still saves and overwrites my original 3MF files.

I don’t bother exporting the .gcode as I very rarely reprint any models.

Step is an old fashioned option that MS 3D Builder doesn’t offer and I see no advantages to switching design software to use it.

The bug is that Bambu Slicer is occasionally deciding to save a project, overwriting my original objects, when it’s not been asked to.

If the save could be set to add the printer model to the filename that at least would protect my design files. But for some reason the filename setting from Prusa Slicer have been removed.

It sounds like you’re having multiple issues: no pop-up to split, saving when not to, file format incompatibilities/woes. Since others are not having such issues there’s probably something going on. Most productive would probably be to create a reproducible test case with one of your files and post that to the github issues. Maybe a dreaded reinstall of bambu studio can fix it for you, though?

1 Like

So, I’m going to kick this topic back to life…

I create* a 3MF object file containing a single object

• I open the 3MF file in Bambu Studio
  • I slice it and send it to print (I do not always send to print but this still happens)
  • Then I go to Home in Bambu Studio and start a new project - and Bambu Studio decides all by itself to save the current project overwriting my original work, the file format is NOT compatible with my other products so I cannot open and change anything.
  • Bambu Studio when told to export as generic 3MF saves in some wierd format of 3MF and the object is still not available to me, instead I load the project into Orca and save as generic 3MF from there, Orca reports all kinds of ‘enhancements’ to the 3MF that it does not support but will throw away (thankfully!)

This is a serious bug in Bambu Slicer!
It saves/overwrites files despite the autosave option having been disabled!

Do not annoy me by suggesting I learn another, expensive product to overcome a problem that only exists in Bambu Slicer. The correct answer is to fix the problem withinn Bambu Slicer instead as that is where the problem exists!

I also use 3D Builder and I love it. I also have multi-object models that when i load into Bambu, it ends up splitting them into objects all over the plate. I dont get why it does this? It does, at times ask if you want to load them as a single object, which I’ve chosen yes, but it still splits them. Any idea how to get it to load them all the way ive saved them in 3d builder?

Hi sorry it’s taken me so long to get back to you.
Know this issue far too well. It’s something that has happened for ages.
I think this is a bug inherited from Slic3r itself. Sometimes it misreads the 3MF file and thinks its in inches not millimetres and asks to rescale things. If you say no then your work is spread all over the place.
I just tried a few multi-object 3MF’s in the latest version and it still misplaces things if you don’t allow it to treat it as a single object.
The only answer is to create STLs instead, but of course then 3D Builder will fracture things.

Hi - Thank you for the reply. I figured out how to do this shortly after my post, but i appreciate the reply. thank you!

/begin rant/
I’ve had to stop using Bambu Studio because of this issue. It’s destroyed the files of so many of my designs.

Instead I’m now using Orca Slicer as it doesn’t have the rubbish code that overwrites my .3MF files or create them if I load a .STL. Neither does it create a .3MF file that is unreadable by other software.

I’m seriously unimpressed with the quality of the code coming from Bambu Labs. This is after 40+ years working as a developer myself in real IT (big blue chip companies!), I’m coming to regard this code as some the worst I’ve ever seen. I honestly don’t think the developers (script kiddies might be a fairer description) know how their code actually works anymore.
/end rant/