Bambu Textured PEI Plate

I just cannot figure out the differences between the new „Textured PEI Plate“ and the old „Dual-Sided Textured PEI Plate“ – besides the obvious change in color. The former one is a bit more expensive, the latter one is still available but reduced in price which probably means it will be discontinued. Is the new one just optimized (maybe more durable) or are there also changes in texture like a smaller grain? :thinking:

I suspect Bambu just found a different supplier, who happened to be set up for gold PEI instead of black.

The product descriptions are nearly identical.
Gold claims surface temperature resistance up to 180℃, old claims up to 200℃.
Gold plate is .05mm stainless steel, old is .04mm (?) steel.
Regular price on the gold is $39.99, old was $34.99.
If the texture images are good representations, I prefer the old texture, The picture for the gold looks more like a top surface to me, a photographer error?

My black plate ($27.99) was ordered before the gold became available, and should arrive today.

1 Like

Good catch. Definitely looks to be an error on the part of the photographer. I sincerely hope it’s not two different people. I mean I hope it wasn’t an extra person who inserted the high-resolution magnified circle. :smiley:

When I saw this plate, my immediate hope was that they found a LiDAR-compatible surface, but…. no.

I guess it’s for people who were having issues with adhesion on the black textured plate:

After optimizing the manufacturing process of the Bambu Texture PEI Plate, the durability of the plate is enhanced. Additionally, the adhesion between the prints and the plate is significantly improved, eliminating the need for adhesives.

2 Likes

I think the adhesion remark is for PEI in general, since glue is recommended for both plates with TPU, PC, PC-CF, PA, PA-CF, & PAHT-CF.

Hello,
forgive me for resurrecting this thread but I figured it’d make more sense than opening a brand new one.

I just got a P1S and it came with a textured plate that says “Bambu Textured PEI Plate” and “PLA/PETG/ABS”.
In the app, the build plate graphics show “Bambu Dual-Sided Textured PEI Plate” and “PLA/ABS/TPU/PC”.

Mine is also dual-sided even though it doesn’t say so, but the little 2d-code next to the Bambu logo and the list of materials is different from what the app displays.
I have however managed to print PLA, PETG and TPU with absolutely zero issues on it; TPU was a tad difficult to remove, but I followed the suggestion in the wiki to lift one corner and let some IPA underneath. A few moments of panic later, the print’s base came off with the PEI unscathed.

So I’m wondering — is there any actual difference at all? The one I got does seem to be the same as what the P1S’s page on the store shows.

Thank you in advance!

I also noted that the text on the new gold plate no longer lists PC, I find this interesting since their technical page lists PC under the Recommended Settings section. I just tried doing a dynamic flow test using PC and found that it does in fact stick better than the black PEI plate even without glue (against recommended settings).

Thus far after a few prints (without glue) Im pleasantly surprised at how well my PC prints are sticking to the plate.

So maybe the lack of PC being listed on the plate was just an over sight.

I never printed PC so I can’t confirm that, but I did try ABS since my last post and that too seems to work well — in fact, maybe a little too well?
The biggest parts (such as those with a brim) were quite hard to remove off the plate despite it having cooled down to room temperature, and had a bit of a white-ish shine on them. The plate itself also seems to reflect light a little differently on the spots where the biggest parts were; you really have to look for that though.
I wonder if it’s just due to ABS shrinking a little on the plate as it cooled and left a mark, or if I accidentally “transferred” some of the PEI to the part.

(Also, I print PLA with the glass on top but that page says it should be removed. Does it make any actual difference, other than the longer time it takes to cool down?)