Bambulab P1S Enclosure temp

I noticed that the chamber fan goes on when printing PLA on my printer (P1S) and it is off when printing ASA, so the functionality I mentioned above is already implemented - you do not need to mess with filament g-code.

All the fans are being used on mine, at least during the times they should be on. The filament’s start GCode controls the chamber fan on the P1 series. The X1 series has an actual sensor so it can use the sensor, but that’s not the case for the P1’s.

The reason ASA doesn’t turn on the chamber fan is also in the filament’s start GCode. The idea is, ASA likes lots of heat to help resist warping. So turning on a chamber fan to decrease the chamber temp is not advisable, so the start GCode sets the chamber fan to off. For PLA its the opposite. PLA doesn’t like hot chamber temps because it starts to soften in the path above the nozzle (right where you want the plastic stiff for good extrusion). If it does soften too early, it doesn’t extrude well and leads to clogs. So to avoid this, if the bed temps are high, the chamber fan is set to high to cool the chamber.

So for ASA, ABS, Nylons, PETs, and PCs, you find the chamber fan set really low or off so that the prints don’t warp. And for PLA, PETG, TPU, PVA, and etc. you’ll find the chamber fan running pretty aggressively to keep the chamber cool and hopefully stop any unwanted clogging.

2 Likes

My printer is in a variable temperature area, at worst case not below 0c.
I’d rather not have the object I’m printing flapping around in an ambient temperature of say 10c, that’s supplying cooling but maybe a bit excessively.

Just looked and it’s not there. (Studio 1.8.4.51)

Are you sure on that? The bambu instructions for the P1S and X1C both say open the door (EDIT actually the lid) with PLA on a hotplate (but not a cold plate)

I discovered that was only when it was set to a non-bambu printer. Sorry for the confusion.

I believe Orca offers it on all printers, Bambu and non-Bambu. However, I’ve never tried to use it, being I have a P1 printer and it doesn’t have the chamber temp sensor.

I have noticed some odd things in how the chamber fan is regulated. Some filaments will run the chamber fan to filter the air. However this will be at the determent of chamber temps (sucking in cool air to replace the exhausted warm air). For example ASA and ABS are oddly set to 70% in the filament profile. However, I have noticed times when that was not the case in the past. Not sure what’s going on, but its possible I’m remembering a previous release of the filament profile where the fan was set to zero… just don’t know.

But if you have a X1 and want to play with the passive chamber temp regulation, you may have to use Orca.