Banding / Ringing type artifacts?

this really is annoying because most of the things I want to print have this effect also.
I did all the tensioning and else and dealing with support is a bit tiresome as they make you jump through the hoops.

Maybe we should post all the issues here and really get their attention, this is a big deal and one of the most frequent issues of this machine.

I think that if everybody does the test and report here, we can just simply redirect support here rather than having 40 people doing the same test with support.

We should all print the same model and report back with pictures. Thoughts?

1 Like

It’s definitely a good idea to collaboratively test for issues. One has to take care not to overly criticize, but I see it the same as you that this issue might be important for some and ther should at least be a possibility to achieve a better result at a time when it is really needed. Maybe it contains a compromise, lower print speed for example, that would be fine with me.

1 Like

I have two theories.

Poor K/PA values. The infill is over extruding at one end of travel where it touches the walls. This is causing a subtle ripple on the outer surface. Do you get poor seams on the same prints? does this disappear with gyroid infill.

Or

2x poor stepper drivers amplifying each others flaws when harmonizing in Core XY.

2 Likes

I’ve been having issues with this too. I swear it’s gotten more noticeable since the last firmware update. I thought vibration compensation was supposed to address this but it doesn’t like much better than my other core xy that has no compensation. Meanwhile I’ve added a sonic pad to my ender 3 s1 pro and have been getting really good results.

2 Likes

I am having the same issues on X axes efter updating the software. I hope Bambulab fixes this. The first half is printer at 50% speed. Filament Extrudr BioFusion quicksilver

2 Likes

I agree simple cylinder and a box.

I have not printed in PETG yet, only PLA and ABS and the results are the same.

3 Likes

Definitely agree on the doing a group test print.
Might also be worth saying what you have already tried doing in order reduce or remove the artefacts as well.
Come on guys let get the test prints done and results posted ASAP.

1 Like

Seems to be the larger diameter shows it more. I had a test ring on my desk from a cup holder that shows it more.

I am adding a 90mm test to the Thingiverse link.

May also need to try one of the boxes rotated 45*. The artifacts are there, but faint.

Binder1_Page_7 - Copy

I’d suggest changing it to vase mode to eliminate infill causing issues.

for the experiment sake and to remove any doubts to other parties seeing the results:

Please take a photo of the model while it is still attached to the plate, this way, the axis are self explanatory and will provide 100% proof of the defect orientation without further marking.
You can then identify them for your own sake once these are removed.

1 Like

On round objects this could actually happen due to the way CAD software saves circles in stl, namely as n-gons, so a circle is approximated by a polygon with n sides, and n depends on your export settings.

Are you sure this is not what one is seeing on the photo of the round prints?

1 Like

That would be symmetrical across both axes, correct?

I can’t tell orientation on the rings posted above.

Pidrittel - On round objects this could actually happen due to the way CAD software saves circles in stl, namely as n-gons, so a circle is approximated by a polygon with n sides, and n depends on your export settings.

Are you sure this is not what one is seeing on the photo of the round prints?

That is a possibility. That question is beyond my skill set. My work is done on Fusion 360 freeware and exported as .3mf files. I don’t know how to smooth the circles out - if you know how to do that, post how or a link to teach me and others.

This I think where a box at a 45* on the X/Y axis my tell since the walls are straight…but again they are a bunch of triangles no matter what. The artifacts on my box prints are there, but very faint and I can not pick them up with the camera.

If you can make a 40-90mm ring, do a remix of mine and post it to try. We do need to see if it is a model issue or X1C firmware change.

twack3r - That would be symmetrical across both axes, correct?

I can’t tell orientation on the rings posted above.

The markings on my 40mm are at the bottom, and marked before I took them off the build plate. The large ring I don’t know what is X and Y, but it does not matter, it is there 360* around it. Before and after the seam which is vertical. That one is also 3mm thick with 3 count wall and 5% cubic infil.

If it’s there all around the ring, this could indicate in issue with the model.

Send me the stl you used and I’ll print it for comparison on my X1C.

3 Likes

What about not using STL files at all for these tests? Bambu studio can also work with STEP/STP files. If you’re working with fusion it can also export to them.

Step files are not mesh based and can have actual circles/curves. This could maybe help rule out model imperfections.

Edit:
Bambu studio also has an option to convert polygon curves to smooth curves, but i don’t know how well it works. Has anyone examined this more closely?

2 Likes

What would be even better Luucmaster would be that Bambu Lab supply the test file that they want us all to use. That way we are all on the same page including BL when it comes to interpreting the test results.
There could be no wiggle room for any spurious arguments as to the cause then!
But good idea on your part although I have yet to see many results being posted yet.

I printed my sample ring and box again, including the 90mm version and rotated the box 45*. The first 40mm version box had the “Ringing” artifacts but very faint and could not catch it on film. When I rotated to 45* on the X/Y then they became obvious - more so on the back side (rear of printer) that front.

I think that there is a hitch in the X/Y combined movements that is causing this.

Has ANYONE tried the .3mf files I posted on Thingiverse yet? Waiting for more results.

If we are doubting the export file I posted, then use your own CAD program or starting file of your choice, make the 90mm dia x 40mm cylinder with 3mm wall, and a 90x90x40mm box with 3mm wall, then slice using the same .20mm standard preset with 5% cubic infil

Same simple design and see of you are getting better results.

1 Like

Hi Sticks
I think that everyone should do the same model not their own versions and formats as that will not give the constancy of the check it we all do our own thing!! Or maybe I am wrong?

Hi mate, I am printing them now after spending all afternoon cleaning the rods etc. Keeping my fingers crossed but not holding my breath if I am honest!!

Hi Mates, i have almost the same sh**. I have 2 X1C one version 2 and one version 3 (screwed AUX fan). The Version 3 has it over the full speed range … the version 2 only on low speeds. BambuLabs respond they work on it, i just have to print faster … wtf i’m allready use the standard profile … :frowning: that is a little bit a damper … i’m now try to give back the v3 version because thats unusabel … :frowning:

EDIT: it’s only on the X axis!