Can i share mine works on Patreon and other 3D platforms?

Good morning everyone,

I hope you’re all doing well. I have a couple of queries that I’d like to address:

1. As I began my journey into the world of 3D printing with a Bambu 3D printer, it marks my initial experience in this field. Currently, on my MakerWorld profile, I’ve uploaded several models that I’m considering sharing on other platforms such as 3DCult and Printables.
    Before proceeding, I wanted to confirm if this would pose any issues. It’s important for me to ensure that there are no conflicts in doing so.

2. Occasionally, I’ve been approached by individuals inquiring about the licensing for selling my works. However, I lack clarity on this matter. I’m considering the possibility of setting up a Patreon channel but would appreciate some guidance and information regarding licensing.
    Specifically, if I have a model on MakerWorld, would it be permissible to publish it on Patreon for the purpose of selling licenses?

Any assistance or insight on these matters would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the space and please, forgive mine eng :pray:

Hi David,

Welcome.

1. “The User retains any and all IP Rights in the User Content that the User may have”
    Terms of Use - MakerWorld.

2. Not an expert on this, and some license types seem ambiguous. Anyway, when you upload a file, you set up the license type:
    Licenses List | Creative Commons

Also, check the Patreon licensing rules:

Regarding your specific question, I didn’t understand. Do you want to make it free in MakerWorld and sell it on Patreon?

1 Like

Uploading to Makerworld has no impact on your business presence on other platforms. These models are entirely yours, enabling you to utilize them however you see fit across any platform of your choice.

“Regarding your specific question, I didn’t understand. Do you want to make it free in MakerWorld and sell it on Patreon?”
About this: No, i have them Free on makerworld but with most restricted license, i wold upload them on Patreon and if you buy it there you have the license to print and Sell them, could it work?

so shouldn’t be any issue sharing mine models also on other platforms, right?

Certainly not. Feel free to share across all platforms in whichever way suits you best.

You can share anywhere you like, assuming these models are yours and do not infringe on others’ copyright.

There is one small caveat that may or may not apply to your situation. If a model is entered into a contest, there can be rules requiring that model to stay on the platform for a certain period of of time such as one year. So if a designer later changes their mind and decides to have that model as a paid model and wants to remove it from the platform on which it’s now available for free, the platform has the right to have it restored. Read the contest rules fully before entering.

3 Likes

You own the IPR of the model, and in the examples you mentioned, there isn’t a proprietary transfer agreement. So, there are no restrictions on your business model.
From reading others’ experiences, it seems typical to find disrespect to IPR and licenses, and controlling seems complex.

1 Like