Cannot seem to slice this properly!

I’m genuinely stumped here, folks…

I’ve included Prepare and Preview screenshots. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks!

Some additional info based on replies:

The STL was exported from Tinkercad, including the lines and text. I find TC to be the best option for straightforward projects like this. The lines are the same height as the text. The layer height is 0.1mm The print is designed to be .5mm high. I want the faces smooth so it’ll be printed face down. The plan is to glue 2 together, back-to-back, to make a double-sided sign. Neither the lines nor the text protrudes past the white face. Can share the .STL or the TC link.

How did you add the text? with the text tool in BS or was it already part of the model? It is a bit hard to tell all the details from both screenshots?

2 Likes

@onehunkytenor That is strange, especially if the boss for the lettering is the same height as the lines.

I can’t really make out what layer height you have specified but maybe go finer if possible.

The other thing would be to make the lettering boss (protrusion) larger if you have access to the stp…perhaps the protrusion is so small that the slicer isn’t catching it with the specified layer resolution.

You could also try variable layer height and see if BS can recognize the letters and adjust layer height accordingly.

Would you be willing to share the stl? I could play around with it tonight.

Thanks for your reply. Have edited my post with more info.

It does work quite nicely here when you have prepared the base (like 2 mm high plate here in this case) and hit the T button to add text and then add the text.

Appreciate your reply. Have edited my post with more info.

Thanks for your reply… have edited my post with more info.

1 Like

A few parts I don’t understand - like if you want to print it face-down, why can the text be still read regularly? Shouldn’t it be mirrored then? Anyway - not on topic.

Related to the STL - as you write (if I got it correctly) the lines and the text are flat together with the rest of the surface - how did you identify where to color? I don’t think it is a matter of extrusion with - otherwise the black lines would get drawn as well. One assumption would be that somehow the text is one layer below the final surface. But if you could provide the STL we can have a look into it.
Or even better - save it as a project (3mf) so we get additional information with the import

Before actually printing, I would rotate 180 and re-slice. Harder to show the issue when all you see is a blank white “to be glued” face :wink:
The lines and text are .2mm thick, and sit flush with the face of the sign you see in the screengrabs the sign itself is.5mm thick. Two glued together will be 1mm thick.

Here’s the file: Transfer - Dropbox
Here’s the TC file: 3D design Amazing Jarv-Gaaris | Tinkercad

Something interesting… Besides the text not showing up at all in the sliced file, the lines, which should only show in the last two (uppermost) layers, and indeed cannot be seen on the bottom layer in Prepare, go right through the height of the sliced file, from first layer to last. Fascinating!

1 Like

I found that using Quality → Wall Generator → Arachne instead of classic made some fine details look much much better in a few of my prints. I still don’t fully see the value of “Classic” for that setting. Maybe that’ll help?

1 Like

Your model is 0.5mm high and settings say 5 x 0.1mm bottom shell layers.

Set bottom shell layers to 4 or less.

Reducing the top shell thickness may reduce the number of color layers and save some filament changes

1 Like

I downloaded your 3mf, loaded it up and see the same issue as you. I turned on Arachne and it appears to slice properly. IDK why that should matter here though

1 Like

is there any other difference with the arachne algorithm other than varying extrusion width?

It looks like it originated with Cura and here is a little write up on it via Prusa.

Arachne appears to make different choices about how to deal with the conflicting requirements of having bottom and top shells both thicker than the height of the model.

1 Like

I had the same issue right know. Go to strength and activate “detect thin walls”. It’s usually activated in other slicers, but not on Bambu Studio apparently.

This worked! My letters would not connect/render all the way but this did it. Thank you so much