Cardboard Spools (NOT using AMS)

I’ve read about cardboard spools not working great with AMS, but are they OK to use with the P1S if I don’t have AMS? I’ve been searching for an answer but only see that everything refers to AMS. Just want to see if I can use this without problem or if I should just stick to non-cardboard filament. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cardboard spools work just fine without an AMS.

1 Like

yes you can.

And for those who have an AMS and want to use cardboard spool you juste have to add electrician tap on the borders, it works fine.

The issue w/ cardboard and the AMS is that the spools sit on the edges of the cardboard. As it rolls it breaks down the cardboard (sometimes) With an external spool holder, or even the AMS Lite you don’t have that problem as the weight of the spool isn’t on the unsupported ends of the cardboard. Lots of people use the electrical tape trick, or there’s tons of “rings” on makerworld that help reinforce the edges and let you use cardboard in the AMS w/o and issue.

1 Like

The other issue which gets overlooked is the spool dimensions, the AMS (not so much the Lite) is designed around a particular circumference and width. A non-standard size can get jammed or walk around the rollers causing all sorts of issues, rings can be a safer option but the best by far is to respool to a bambu blank (genuine or printed).

The AMS Lite is a lot easier to live with in this respect, I’ve found very little problem with alternative spools and it has been reliable.

There might be a little problem though. Bambu spool holders never really work too good and they have sharp edges. The spool’s kind of scraping off on the spool holder. Cardboard might get broken quick with the additional weight of like 1kg so I suggest getting spool holders like ones on the AMS lite that does not rub or scrape on the spool. BTW there should be some 3d printed circular holders that has less friction as the spool is not wobbling and getting scraped.

Thanks for asking this question, it helped me! Have a great day good sir