Certain areas on p1s are electrically charged

When I touch the metal screws on the top left corner of the glass door, I get electrically shocked. This also happens in multiple other areas, such as the screws underneath the bed. When I turn off the printer the charge still remains for over a minute.

Edit: the problem was faulty grounding and a broken outlet expander. Sorry for the hassle.

1 Like

Check to make sure you have a correctly wired plug with a connected ground.

2 Likes

Check the grounding of your plug and/or plug outlet, switching power supplies can have a low leakage current over the ground and improper grounding will create a potential between the metal chasis and ground thus you can get shocked.

Are you talking about a single static type shock, like when you touch a door knob, or with it turned on, no matter how many times you touch it you get zapped? Do you have a voltmeter to see how much voltage there is? Are you sure you’re plugged into a grounded outlet?

1 Like

Are you sure it isn’t static discharge? When wearing certain shoes, I get shocked by my x1c, p1p, and p1s. upon first touch of the unit. Sometimes its quite painful. Ive started taking a shoe off real quick before I touch them to ground myself out.

1 Like

I am 100% sure it isn’t static.

I am 100% sure it isnt static

My outlet is grounded. I don’t think that is the problem because it gets worse the hotter the bed temp. Could it be a wire that is touching some metal part that electrifies the printer? If so then it would be a hardware issue because I think I have had this issue since I got it.

Sounds like there is a stray connection that isn’t grounded properly. AC power is a little more complicated and arguably dangerous to diagnose if you don’t fully understand what you are looking for.

One thing to confirm, are you using a make-shift extension cord or 3 to 2 prong power adapter? Because the ground prong’s purpose (3rd prong on 3 prong cords) is to give the current somewhere to go beside into you when thing aren’t perfectly insulated.

1 Like

I would say you have an issue with the bed cable then. Support ticket is best option. I would directly ask for a replacement bed cable.

1 Like

Even though an outlet has a ground lug hole, there is no guarantee that it’s actually grounded. We’ve walked a number of users through trouble shooting a printer with a similar shock issue and it usually turns out to be faulty outlet wiring. You can buy cheap outlet testers that will check for proper wiring but even these aren’t 100% perfect.

That being said, there may be cases where a screw on the printer is touching a part of the printer that is connected to the ground system on the printer and maybe you’ve found them. I’ve not looked into this possibility.

3 Likes

The heater bed runs on mains voltage and is connected to the units ground as well. There can be a small leakage current to ground from the PTC heater that varies with temperature so if you can feel that than you must have a faulty ground connection somewhere or the build plate heater bed has a faulty PTC heater

I have a grounded outlet expander that expands the number of outlets there are. It has a light that says it is grounded.

1 Like

Never mind, I bought a tester and found out that the outlet expander is broken. Will need to get a new one but for now just using the regular outlet works.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.