Change A1 retrofit option

I had accepted the DIY option at the end of January when “the end of March” was offered.

It’s now mid-April with no status update on when, and just been surprised to be informed the printer will have to be sent away for testing “expected to take 2-3 weeks”.

With this new understanding of process and further delays - I would like a full refund. Later I will consider whether to go for Bambu or an alternate.

How do I change my choice?
(I’ve updated my ticket, but my last ticket update was also ignored)

1 Like

Yup, if i am going to do something myself then ship it to get it checked at BBL cost. Why not just ship me a replacement printer and i can use the box to ship the old one back.

5 Likes

Exactly. This would have been the simplest offer to deal with the problem in the first place.

Waiting till May at this point to just have something that works without any risk to me is 100% worth it at this point.

1 Like

For European customers, once the “do it yourself part” of the heatbed replacement process (steps 1-4 above) is completed, a test needs to be conducted by an Electrically Skilled Person in terms of the European harmonized standard EN 50678 (General procedure for verifying the effectiveness of the protective measures of electrical equipment after repair) or any applicable local equivalent standard (unless you yourself are qualified as such an Electrically Skilled Person). Before connecting the A1 PRINTER with a power source and switching it on again, the A1 PRINTER should be checked by an Electrically Skilled Person within the meaning of EN 50678, or under any applicable local equivalent standard. Once the test has been completed successfully, the process needs to be documented in accordance with the same technical standards,

Bambu Lab will offer you to send in and have the test conducted on your A1 PRINTER by professional personnel and have it sent back to you free of cost. Upon your request, we can assist you in contacting our partnered testing agency to provide the relevant services. Please note that this will require you to re-package the printer after replacing the heatbed, and sending it to the designated agency for testing. Your printer will be sent back to you once the testing is completed. This process is expected to take approximately 2 to 3 weeks.

Im assuming legal requirements
plus we had two options the first being send it back

There is no legal requirement. what they want is PAT testing, this isn’t a requirement under the law at all. It is required that electrical safety is ensured in work and commercial environments (such as care homes), but it doesn’t have to mean PAT testing. PAT testing is not required at all in the home.

1 Like

EN 50678 is a European standard that provides a general testing procedure to verify the effectiveness of protective measures for electrical appliances after repair, therefore ensuring the safety of persons carrying out repairs on electrical equipment and of persons using repaired equipment. health and saftey are legal requirements hence the need for documentation , certificate

1 Like

For other printer, we change the mother board without any control, but for a bambu lab, we did a control even with a tuto to show exactly what to do ???

EN 50678 is for equipement betwen 60 and 1000 V DC. The bed is, I think, at 24 V DC …

1 Like

I thought it was 240v as its run from mains power

1 Like

So if you open a computer to add RAM, you have to control it by an electrician able to apply the EN 50678 norm ? This is silly !

I wil contact Bambu lab : I don’t subscribe to this control.

This standard applies to equipment that is plugged in or permanently connected to final circuits with a rated voltage of
more than 25 V AC and 60 V DC up to 1000 V AC and 1500 V DC, and currents up to 63 A

Upon your request, we can assist you in contacting our partnered testing agency to provide the relevant services.

No as the PC runs at a much lower voltage. So you can do what you like inside the PC
It would be like taking the PSU a part as i understand it.

1 Like

The PC have 220V supply… inside the computer… but it was only to show that the bambu lab demand is more a safety protection that a real risk !

In order to facilitate a timely completion of the heatbed replacement and to minimize any mishandling during the process, we kindly request your assistance in taking photos of the following 3 key steps during the replacement processas as exemplified below and sending us these pictures through your original ticket registation. Our technical support team will assist you in verifying the correctness of the installation

my problem is two-fold:

1. this wasn’t mentioned in January
  2. this is transferring the problem from BBL to me.

for the latter, making the rebate dependent on the certification is unreasonable.

I am “electrically competent” (my first degree was electrical and electronic engineering) - but I am not certified in terms of EN50678 or any other!

Should there be an “unexplained” fire I would probably find myself uninsured - which is why whenever building regs etc. require it, I insist on a certificate!

I’m confident of my ability to be careful, and quite possibly understand rather more about what’s going on in a circuit than most contractors…

If this had been made clear in January (let alone with all the delays) I would have taken the return option

6 Likes

Step 4 How to proceed . i can also change a plug correctly as per health and saftey
25chars

Dito

I can do the work, but i am now taking extra risk.

In the email com’s back in feb this was not mentioned. If i had known this back then, i would have shipped my printer back and bought a P1S and would have been back printing again.

Just write to them ! I already have do so and if we are number, they should change their mind.

It’s not. As @palros said it’s mains/line voltage.

PC’s have a power supply that is fully enclosed and with no access to mains voltage. The power supply feeds everything else in the system with 12v (or under). There is no risk of coming in contact with line voltage when replacing components such as ram.

2 Likes

But you still only have to connect ou disconnect plugs, not soldering or whatelse, stop try to defend them, please, this not the subject.