Change layer height for a portion of the print?

Is there any way to change the layer height for portions of the print? I can’t find one. I would think that would be done with a modifier, but it’s currently not an option.

I have overhangs that look best at 0.20 mm layer height, but the top is sloped so 0.08 mm works best. If I switch to variable then it moves to thin layers too soon and the overhangs look bad.

To me it appears that we are missing the “Height Range Modifier” that exists in Prusa Silicer.

3 Likes

that seems to be correct, i even tried cutting the model i used to see if i could mark different layer heights for each section, but it didnt work either

I also miss the Height-Range Modifier on Bambu Slicer

The recently added variable (adaptive) layer height tool gives you complete control of layer height for each object and will automatically set layer heights based on your preference between quality and speed.

I don´need a variable (adaptive) layer height tool. I need a fixed layer height tool.

1 Like

The adaptive layer height tool lets you paint whatever layer height you want at any height of the model. I accept it won’t let you make abrupt layer height changes. Not that I can imagine when you would especially want to.

Yes, it is possible to change the layer height for different portions of a 3D print. This is typically done through the use of modifiers, which allow you to specify different settings for different regions of the print.

However, the availability of this feature can depend on the 3D printing software you are using. Some software, such as Prusa Slicer, include a “Height Range Modifier” feature that allows you to specify a range of heights for which certain settings should apply. Other software may have different names or methods for achieving this same effect.

If your current software does not have this feature, you may need to look for a different software that does. Alternatively, you could try manually adjusting the layer height for different sections of your model by creating separate parts with different settings and then combining them after printing.

Thanks a lot ChatGPT! :sunglasses: :nerd_face:

1 Like

I found a way. First click on variable layer height icon (1). There you can set 2 presets, or you can manualy make it smoother. Click on keyboard icon (2), there is a help. Move to the right side of window, there is a blue vertical line (3). And appears a light yellow horizontal line, both on vertical line and on an object (4). It shows what part of model will be affected. Now click left mouse button on blue vertical line and see what happens - it will add more detail to your print.

It’s easy for me, but not accurate. I would prefer to insert values.

¨I found a way. First click on variable layer height icon (1). There you can set 2 presets, or you can manualy make it smoother. Click on keyboard icon (2), there is a help. Move to the right side of window, there is a blue vertical line (3). And appears a light yellow horizontal line, both on vertical line and on an object (4). It shows what part of model will be affected. Now click left mouse button on blue vertical line and see what happens - it will add more detail to your print.

It’s easy for me, but not accurate. I would prefer to insert values.

Nice tutorial on using Prusa Slicer variable height tool - works the same way in Studio and OrcaSlicer:

1 Like