Color thickness when filling faces

Hi,

I printed somes logos lately and had an issue with some filament that are a bit translucents and need more layers to get an opaque color. For exemple Yellow, Red. Orange
When printing theses colors on a black based print, I can see the black color under the top color.

I know that I can use the Height Range tool to get thicker color on top face but It color the whole layers and give a lot of work to repaint sides faces when the print is more complex with multiple height levels.

On some prints, I been able to solve the problem by adding more top layers but it not always work and not very material/time economic because it also add more layers on colors that dont need to be thicker like Black.

See picture below

It could be very useful to have a fonction that make me able to chose what color thickness I want when I fill a top face.

Also more control on how the infill colors is printed could be nice. See on the last picture. Why Green color go so far in the print infill ?

Thanks

6 Likes

The prints still look good. Nice job

1 Like

From the little I have played with the paint tools all I can say is most of them seem really clunky.

For what your photos appear to show I would consider using the cut tool to slice them horizontally at all the heights where you want to change color. Use the into parts option.
That would give you a crepe load of parts, but, it is fairly easy to multi-select them and assign a filament to them.

Edit: After playing with this myself it doesn’t do what I expected. When cutting I thought it would create separate parts for volumes that became disjoint but it doesn’t. Maybe your CAD program if you use one can do it.

1 Like

I have had the same issue with light filaments on top of dark filaments when printing, I would like to increase the thickness of the top colour, I have increase the number of layers and change the layer thickness up/down/0 but no change.

2 Likes

This would be my top request at this time. Light colors on top of dark are very washed out.

4 Likes

I have the same issue…colours bleeding through. I was told to increase the number of top layers. In looking through the Studio software, i can’t seem to find this setting. Can someone point this out for me…so, i can increase the amount of top layers.

2 Likes

1 Like

The best solution I found is splitting my logo model in multiple parts in Fusion360 and import them in Bambu studio all at the same time. Each parts are placed exactly at the same place as in Fusion360 and I only have to select which color I want for each of them.

Like that, I can also set specific printing options for each colors.

If I need to print Yellow on Black, during the splitting step in Fusion360, I can create a 0.4mm thickness White part between the Black and Yellow part that act like a primer color. It give a nice crisp Yellow color and I dont need to have 10 layers of Yellow to reach this result.

Edit:

I made this logo for a friend with this technique

[Yellow] Top
[White] Middle
[Blue] Bottom

Is this still not implemented???

Not yet
I still use the method described here above

This would be an awesome feature. Watching this thread and hopefully it will get some visibility.

i am having the same issue with my prints. i upped the Top shell layers to 9 and it is still only surface and it keeps uses black behind to build up.

Yes this is the biggest problem I have with bambu studio right now. Please just let us set how deep into the model a color will go. I Don’t think that would be hard to incorporate into the software. And the color editing is terrible also. You made an awesome color printer now give us tools to make awesome color objects to print PLEASE!!! They are so on top of some issues but really letting us down here.

1 Like

Fortunately Bambu Studio is open source. So you should be able to easily add this feature yourself.

4 Likes

If is that easy maybe you wouild like to help these people out?

2 Likes

Hi I’m a total noob (only owned printer for 1 week) so apologies if this sounds stupid. I was having this issue & I found you could fill by height range on an object easily, which was great but obviously no use for changing colours of different letters at the same height on the same object.

A solution that worked for me at least with fairly simple prints (probably be no use to the OP & anyone with very complex prints/shapes) was to add a modifier shape that could be placed over the lettering you want at the appropriate depth & then select a the colour filament you want to print for inside of that modifier.

Like I say not a solution for every application but thought it might help someone else :slight_smile:

Totally agree. I have the same issues often. :S

Would also love to see this.
Even beyond the color bleeding, sometimes I want to make a “cap” of color where the side edge is mostly one color for “highlight” but not the full edge.

I tried using the sphere tool but it’s far too imprecise. If there was a cube tool it would be exactly what we need because it would be a set number of layers / millimeters from the face being painted

1 Like

I am also interested to see this feature. :slightly_smiling_face: