Colorful 3D Printing For Everyone

doesen’t seem to be a cutter, rather the tensioning arm to release stuck filament, as seen on the ams main stepper.

edit: picture

You could be right. Cant wait to find out. This is what I was seeing.

I highly doubt you can expect mixing any color that way in the extruder. Compare it with dual color filament, that isn’t mixed when used but simply lays down the two colors on the layer being printed. Depending on the angle the filament makes one side shows mostly one color, the other side mainly the other color. In between these sides the colors aren’t mixed.

1 Like

If you look at there CMYK filament bundle… you see how they achieve black… it’s gonna be a colored black but it will do the trick.

Looks like the picture is showing the back of the extruder as the screw holes are showing which would put the cutter on the same side.
The circle in the middle shows a dot (filament 1) in the middle for the current filament in use and the other 3 filaments circled around it which would indicate that the other 3 filaments are feed to the head and just waiting to be selected, could be 1 filament from 4 different ams units ?
Don’t think they will do support for other makes of printers as they most likely have a patient on the ams unit and would in the long run prefer everyone having a full Bambu setup.

But I’m just guessing lol, bigger plate be nice and sell a good cleaning product to clean plates

2 Likes

I was going to add the P1S to my collection, but I’m waiting for a couple more weeks to see what’s going on here.

1 Like

I had to test out the contrast trick. Lol yup it’s there!

3 Likes

Reading through the comments, you can tell how many people who don’t have much 3D printing experience. Clearly this device is to allow you to add color printing on many other non-Bambu 3D printers like the https://www.3dchameleon.com/. It has nothing to do with the current Bambu printers. All the “I’ll wait to order my Bambu printer” comments are going to be disappointed when they waited for a couple of weeks to get their printer.

I know this is just a teaser, but Bambu should have waited to announce it. All they are doing is confusing the community.

5 Likes

Although I do wish it was a product for us and not the masses, I do believe that in order to dominate the market they needed to get their technology and branding onto other printers. This might be the gateway to that, there are so many printers out there and most color changing options are “meh” that this might be the thing (if priced right) will enable dumb printers to become smart color changing printers.

So I believe this is a straight business move towards controlling more of the market and offering something to the masses that might not want another printer. I also hope if I am right this will also allow the price of the AMS to lower and benefit us all across the board.

Gotta love speculation posts!

Bambu Lab CEO said in a not so recent interview, that they were working to solve the problem of excessive poop when switching filament in the AMS. Technically speaking, this can be accomplished by making the switch directly inside the printer head, or having an extruder with multiple nozzles. My bet would be on that, let’s see what it is about.
As for making the AMS to work with non-bambu printers, it is a plausible explanation, but considering Bambu is a closed system, this would mean cannibalising potential sales of their own bambu printers. This does not make much economic sense to me.

3 Likes

I have to agree with you. It would also make more sense that this “AMS for the masses” lines up roughly with the “MakerWorld” release.

6 Likes

I came to say that it looks like a 3D Chameleon as well.

I don’t know if it would cannibalize printer sales as Bambu printers pretty much sell themselves. Also people looking to add this will already have a printer and are not necessarily in the market for a new one. It will however get more people into the Bambu ecosystem as people will be introduced to Bambu Studio, the AMS and will most likely purchase Bambu filament. This is a win for Bambu on all fronts (except service work).

7 Likes

I agree, it looks like it could go in place where the AMS Hub or Buffer would be placed because of the two screws we see in that image.

1 Like

Maybe the back side of the extruder?

D

I’ll take one now. Unseen. Seriously.

That would be super dumb. Bambu printers use carbon rods to save few grams of dynamic mass and then add a display to the tool head???

1 Like

Just my opinion, but to me it’s overwhelmingly obvious that this is either a new printer or toolhead with multiple filament inputs at the toolhead designed specifically for high speed multi-color (or fingers crossed multi-material) printing? Basically, a printer with minimal- or no purge time and waste. The CEO has kind of mentioned it in passing that they were working on this problem in several interviews in the past.

I would imagine it’s a heavier toolhead, but they probably spent some time optimizing that. I wonder how fast the color swaps are, and if the new toolpath is still compatible with special materials like TPU (fast multi color? will this support rigid-flex prints?)

It also seems likely that this would require a new AMS, or require quite a few AMSs to work, or multiple Bowden-style drives to assist. I wonder if they would’ve gone for changing over from direct drive to bowden for this as well.

1 Like

Well I guess the “Bambu Lab” light on the front of the X1C tool head is super dumb as it is only there for esthetics. You should rip that sucker out so you can get max SPEED!
The carbon rods save much more than “a few grams” over comparable steel rods.

6 Likes

I have P1S so no LED there. And yes I’ll say it again, anything that adds dynamic mass for aesthetic reasons is DUMB.