Coloring in studio

Hi all does anyone colour their prints in Studio using a touchscreen pen? I find sometimes using a mouse in studio difficult sometimes to be accurate and was thinking of a cheap tablet or touchscreen laptop with pen would help and give me better control in colouring prints. Any suggestions as on a budget.

1 Like

There are also addon drawing surfaces that many artists use that hook to a PC or Mac.

It’s not as exact as you’re looking at a screen and drawing on your table or lap, but millions have used it that way and like anything, practice … :grin:
I have a Wacom I’ve used for years for photo editing.

The main advantage is cost. Like this one (totally random):

https://www.amazon.com/XOPPOX-Graphics-Battery-Free-Compatible-Painting/dp/B08TC1N6JS

Whereas one with a screen:

https://www.amazon.com/XP-PEN-Artist13-3-Full-Laminated-Graphics-Function/dp/B07VPHR6GD

Quite the price difference.

On the question of colour, and noting i can’t post my own question - is there a way - OR maybe it will be added, that i can add a spool and add a custom name to it. i have about 5 different reds as an example, it will be easier to use a custom stored name that retrieves a custom colour to show on the AMS rather than try match each time i add a spool.
also easier when you have 3 AMS units.

You can get a drawing tablet to connect to your computer that you can use a stylus to draw directly in art software and computer.
If you have more budget, you can get a standalone tablet with pen, such as ipad, samsung galaxty tab or microsoft surface.

@minyang743
I have a new surface tablet but didnt think this worked yet. Ill try and report back.

Edit: It does work! I asked this a while ago and didnt get an answer and assumed it was because it didnt work. Guess I shouldnt have been so lazy.

I’ve tried to use my iPad in sidecar with my MacBook and although it would let me slide the window to the iPad, I can’t use the Apple Pencil to apply color.

I used an ipad and apple pencil in sidecar and it was able to color. It was a bit of a pain because I needed to use my keyboard on my laptop to do various screen controls at the same time, but in the end it worked fairly well (apple pencil 2)

You need a special software to let your ipad work with macbook. some of the apps include Sidecar, Astropad, Duet Display, and Luna Display.
pctechtest site has many good article about ipad, android pen tablet and tradition drawing tablet.