Confusing Terminolgy in Bambu Studio: Transfer vs. Discard?

I just got the Bambu Labs A-1 at Christmas time. It’s my fourth 3D printer, the 1st three being Creality models using Cura and Octoprint.
I’m feeling uncertain about which to choose when presented with the dialog box for a file either being initially setup for an X1C or a generic STL and giving me a list of setting changes.
My question: when I have a file, say coming from an X1C printer, is it safe to Transfer those settings? Aren’t there capability differences between these printers that might create a problem by transferring it settings?
And honestly, I’m not even certain if that’s what it really means! I don’t know why it seems so confusing to me. Am I Transferring or Discarding? I have printed hundreds and hundreds of successful prints over the last several years…
Is there a guide or a video that someone could point me to? It would be much appreciated!

2 Likes

Great question! I’ve asked myself the same and these are my experiences; in brief transferring has worked every time for me.

Aren’t there capability differences between these printers that might create a problem by transferring it settings?

For sure; the BambuLab printers are all mechanically different; more so for the A1 since it’s a bedslinger - never mind all the other differences. However I’ve yet to see a print that came out poorly because I transferred settings from an X1/P1 .3mf.

Of course I’m pretty dang sure I’ll find a print at some point that comes out poorly because it was better tuned for the X1/P1; just haven’t experienced it yet (would love to hear if others have!)

Is there a guide or a video that someone could point me to? It would be much appreciated!

It’s such a vast topic; if you could grab screenshots of transfer settings that you were curious about, we could discuss this in specific (e.g. num of walls, infill type, etc. etc.)

I find the GUI with Transfer, Save and Discard quite confusing. I think the question in the dialog should be rephrased to make it more clear what will happen.

I think it means
Transfer=“transfer current changes to new preset without saving the new preset”,
Save= “transfer current changes, then save the new preset”
Save=“save current preset then load the new preset without transfering current changes”
and Discard =“discard current changes, just load the new preset with its settings”.

I always use “transfer” too (gives me the chance to reset some of the changes in the new preset since it hasn’t been saved)

1 Like

This is common for new users, so don’t feel bad. And the tips aren’t very helpful. You already have decent answers.

I believe bambu studio gives the option to transfer incompatable settings to compatable settings based on there presets and different machines. (old to new)
for a particular print *

Please comment here:

so maybe someone from Bambu will improve that. It’s the same problem with one proposed solution from bug author.

Alternative suggestions for better names or solutions etc are also welcome.

I’m trying to change system settings for quality. Should I transfer, discard, or save? I still don’t know.

Bambu devs are working on it currently, so please everyone read

and comment if you have something to add.

1 Like

I’m having the same issue. No idea what this is doing after re reading it 50 times and various explanations on forums, I’m still hurting myself in confusion! I support any change to the current dialogue box.