Corners Lifting and Compressed or Shifted Layers?

Hi all -
I’ve been printing for months with only occasional fails. I make dollhouse miniatures. I mostly use Elegoo PLA. I’m still pretty new to filament, so I’m not great at doing my own troubleshooting yet.
Yesterday, I was printing my best seller – a farmhouse sink – when I started having problems with the corners lifting and what looks like several layers compressed or shifting (see photos).

I have changed nothing from all the successes to these fails. I made little tweaks and tried over and over with similar or worse results.

I cleaned the plate with Dawn and IPA.
I changed filament spool, brand, color. (Elegoo, Overture, Sunlu)
I turned off the aux fan.
Turned up bed temp to 60c.
Slowed the speed to 50%.
Checked the original STL file.
Ran the calibration.

Today I tried to print a couple of very small, simple files and the first layers stick then failed on the subsequent layers.

I’m at a loss.

Those problems are all a result of adhesion issues.

• Hot water and dawn to clean the plate
  • Add 5-10 degrees to the bed temperature
  • Add a brim to parts with 0 “Brim-Object Gap”
8 Likes

Already did the first two bullets. Will add a brim now.

Which plate are you using?

3 Likes

I have the Textured PEI plate.
I’ve been washing with Dawn regularly but it does seem to have lost its grip.

Over time PEI plates looses adhesion, but you can always use some agents to improve it, like glue. It’s a good idea to have a spare one or dual sided plates.

1 Like

Ah, I didn’t realize this. I’ve flipped it and just ordered a new one. A small price to pay to not waste so much filament!

What are you using to wash your plate?

FYI - A light scuff with fine steel wool can rejuvenate a textured pei sheet. Might be worth a try.

4 Likes

That is an excellent tip! I do that for my resin build plate and it works like a charm!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.