Cruise Ship Print

Happy to hear that will be future publications and worth to wait!

These look amazing!! I tried to print some older cruise with an Ender 3 and it never worked, ender sold. Glad that we now have AMS to do it reliably.

Would you happen to make cruise model from cruise line other than P&O? I just went to a Virgin Voyage and it was amazing!! Would love to buy if there is!

Thanks - yes plan to move over to other lines soon, although mainly on ships I have been on. Haven’t yet sailed on Virgin. There does seem to be a single colour Scarlet Lady model available on Cults 3d - so I guess it could be painted in Bambu Studio if you wanted to print it on the AMS - it looks like it is designed for a resin printer though - so may need some work or scaling up to get it to working on a BL printer.

1 Like

Currently on my last day of a cruise on Azura - appropriately decided to do some re-modelling of my Azura model - to hopefully get it down to a small enough size to fit on an A1 mini build plate, and to reduce to number of colours down to 4. Needs a bit more work before trying a test print on an X1C.

4 Likes

You do amazing work, my friend.

1 Like

Can’t get purge down to less than 1g - due to size of A1 Mini build plate - but am able to reduce it down by about 2/3 from 116g to 44g with some automated selection of suitable ‘purge-to’ xmas decoration objects (see my other thread for more details). So will do this plate as first multi colour test .

1 Like

Single colour test print of Azura at the 1:1250 scale needed to work on an A1 Mini worked pretty well- (using BL sponsored yellow filament) took about 6hrs - so think I will have a go the 16 hr 4 colour ‘waste-free’ version tomorrow. The ‘purge-to’ objects are parts of the legs of a 3d printed table that I am creating.

Update - with further refinement - I thought something had gone wrong - but the flush column disappeared - but I actually think I have managed to eliminate 100% of flush! - will be interesting to see how it prints out -

Update - printed and now on Makerworld.

3 Likes

Wow! Your work is awesome!!! Congratulations!!!

I like a lot your renders in F360, if you have time one day please explain here or on YouTube what environment and configuration do you use, they are perfect! Congrats!!!

:clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2:

1 Like

Thanks - and yes they do come out pretty well in F360 without too much effort - take quite a while to render each frame though on a Mac mini. Am planning to do some more work on rendering - so will write up some details when I do.

1 Like

Thank you very much! It’s a great work!! :slight_smile:

Not cruise ship related I know - but did some X1C maintenance.

X1Ca 946 hrs, 99% PLA - 2nd lead screw clean and relax with superlube, also took all 3 AMS’s apart - all fine - except after putting back together the oldest one it wouldn’t work - 4 x red lights. On checking the wiki found it was a comms error - so took it apart again and found the left hand cable had pulled out - quite hard to get back in as a bit short - but eventually got it back in - so all OK
X1Cb 347 hrs 99 PLA - first lead screw clean and regrease with superlube. Didn’t bother taking AMS apart on this one - as it is behaving ok

Original multi plate Ventura went over 1000 downloads on Makerworld - haven’t seen many builds though - so not sure if people are downloading for later or seeing that it is too complicated to print.
Multi plate Iona also up to about 650 downloads.

The surprising thing is that my newer single plate ships are not getting nearly as many downloads - when I thought they would be more popular due to the simplicity. Especially the most recent 4 colour Azura at a size small enough for the A1 mini.

I might be that they don’t have the ‘featured’ flag on - plus I guess Venture still being on the BL homepage might be driving downloads.

Might have to look at the photos though on the other smaller ships as maybe this is part of the reason they are not as popular as the less practical smaller ships.

Current thinking is that my next ship will the another Arvia/Iona sister ship - at single plate scale - probably Carnival Mardi Gras.

1 Like

Been lurking since you started the project, REALLY FANTASTIC! I have a list in my mind of some of my favorite posters, and since my P1S gets in tomorrow I am revisiting to say thanks, it being turkey-day and such. Back to cooking…

1 Like

Congratulations and happy thanksgiving.

Wow!! This is the most awesome ship print I’ve seen yet, well done!

I’m aspiring to do exactly this; cruise ships (fleets)!

I’m completely new to this field but catch on quick- any pointers to get started??

@Ukdavewood your builds definitely caught my eye- which printer are you using for this size build(s)?? I’m in the market right now to buy and get this process going!

If you want to create your own designs of 3d objects like ships I would recommend starting with something simple. I use Fusion for my designing - it is free for hobby use. I learned most things from youtube,

If you are wanting to print designs already created - there are a few available on Makerworld, Printables or Thingiverse. Most of them are single colour - but could be coloured in and printed multi colour or painted after printing.

Printing multi colour models takes many hours and is quite wasteful due to the colour changes having to purge out old colours.

For my prints I use a Bambu lab x1c - with 1 AMS for the less complicated prints - like my 4 colour P&O Azura on Makerworld or the Single colour prints. I have a few models that will print in one go on the 256x256 build plate, but once you go above 1:1000 scale you start to need to do the prints in multiple parts, and they can take many days to complete.

To print my most complex models with 11 different colours in them you need 3 x AMS’s - as each AMS has 4 colours.

1 Like

I tried to print but the iona name not clearly print to me(maybe my printer error). Can I know what the name of a font of “Iona” at front port and staboard?. many thanks

Sorry about that - Can you let me know what site you got the model from, and whether it was one of the 1:500 scale versions.

The actual font used is attached - however note that in 1:500 the model it is actually scaled up to 200%

is the text readable if you preview it in Bambu Studio?

1 Like

Finally got round to doing some modelling of the underwater parts of Iona/Arvia - its pretty hard due to lack of photos - but there are a few video’s of Arvia parts being delivered on Cruise Critic/Youtube which help. Not sure of the proportions, or whether I have missed anything.

Going to be difficult to do the full ship in a single print due to all of the overhangs - so may have to split the 1:1000 scale single plate versions into 2 - so that I can print the underwater parts upside down.

Updated - added a few renders too - I keep forgetting how well F360 can render images

. It takes a few minutes for each one on a M1 Mac mini.

1 Like

Got some useful feedback from ModelShipWorld and the Fusion360 Facebook - so have corrected the underside to a) Remove 3 thrusters, b) Swap the direction of some of the propellors, c) Aim the stabilisers slightly down.

Slightly improved bottom bulbous bow profile I think this will do for first test prints

2 Likes

Good progress made today on underwater hull print. Manage to get the tiny Azipods (rear motors and propellors) to print ok eventually - with custom designed supports.

Those tiny parts take about 90 mins to print at 0.08mm layer height.
Redesigned them slightly so that they clip in and can rotate - rather than the glued in versions I did today.

Just need to do final reprint tomorrow then will probably add the extra parts into the existing Makerworld 1:1000 entry in the next few days.

3 Likes