Custom Filament and Profiles

I’m trying to use a custom filament, CF-ASA, which is not a option in the filament options. I am wanting to be able for the machine to store this custom filament profile that I have made and to be able to save it to the machine, AMS. I want to do this to be able to press synchronize AMS in the slicer and it be right. Is there a way to do this easily? I am using two machines so doing this is the best way for me to keep track of everything. Also I found that if you place four filament rolls in the AMS and then take out the first one it rolls all the others forward in the slicer, which is annoying. Is their anything I can do to make it stop doing this and to leave the port that is empty empty?

4 Likes

With the current state of the equipment it is not possible. Only work-around is that you create an project file for each printer where you pre-populate the slots in the slicer.
And hopefully you didn’t add a new ‘type’ of filament for CF-ASA but created it as of type ‘ASA’ - otherwise AMS will not let you choose it.

2 Likes

I have a similar issue. But for other materials as well.
My not ideal work around is to choose an existing Bambu Studio filament type, change the filament settings (except type), and save the filament with a proper name. However this could lead to problems in the future when the AMS substitutes filament of the same type when the types are not actually the same.
Ability to add new types would be really helpful.
My work arounds…
Material / BBLType
ASA-CF / ASA
PLA3D850./ PLA
PP / PC / (jams in AMS, too flexible)
PP-CF / PC-CF
NonOilen / PETG
IGUS I150 / PETG

1 Like

The filament management is so incompetent, and it is absurd that you cannot save the brand and set up custom types.
We have a bunch of engineering filaments and our prints gets ruined because we cannot transfer profiles to AMS, we cannot name them…
That is really the only thing with the printer that is really lousy.

6 Likes

Check out Bambu Studio 1.8.0 Public Beta 3. It supports creating custom filaments. I’ve used it for about five 3rd party filament rolls now and it works great!

I installed and tried to create a custom profile. After filament was saved, it refuses to be added in the AMS>Devices menu. It selects, then about 8 seconds later blanks out. It’s a royal PITA at the moment and kind of dumbfounding that we cannot simply create a new filament using the specs the manufacturer provides with the filaments. I kind of got the Overture filament to print, but the bed temperature refused to let me adjust even though it is spec’d in the filament profile. Royal PITA.