Custom RFI TAGS

I’m trying to think of what the use case is for custom RFID.

Are you often swapping spools in your AMS? For me I put 12-16 spools in my 4 AMS and they just sit there since they also function as decent dryboxes and I set the color once and I don’t really touch it again until I use up the whole spool.

The reason why I’m asking is because when I’m in a situation where things are outside of my control, i.e, vendor owned decision, I think about what I can do to ease the pain points.

I think using the on-printer UI for assigning the slot material and color is a little clunky for those of us with big fingers that exceed pressing the 3-4mm wide box color, but not too bad, or Bambu Handy, and I also know that Bambu Studio can be used to set the material and color.

One thing I’d be interested in doing is looking at if MQTT payloads are used to set the AMS slot material and color. If that is how it works, then developing another interface, like a local website, or even a physical device that sits next to the printer with a better UI.

Anyways, custom RFI tags would be cool, but I think as most of us are probably engineers to some degree it’d be cool to come up with another solution that may even be better than custom RFI tags. Especially since changing the tag implies disassembling the spool

"My two points regarding that topic are:

1. I hope they don’t pull a Dymo kind of thing where the device only works with their filaments.
  2. It would be extremely awesome to have a feature in the mobile app to select filament color, type, temperatures, and how much is left on the spool. Then, we could write this information to an inexpensive NFC tag with the phone’s built-in NFC capability, allowing us to attach them to regular spools."

Custom RFI tags would be great addition to the system, with the recent introduction of flow and K value calibration prints its tough to manage all your spools with custom values for optimal prints.

With custom RFI tags you could print two calibration prints and add the values with colour/temp/manufacturer information on the tag and everything would be automated after that.

On a side note, would it be possible to combine the two calibration tests in to one since they don´t take that much on the bed, better yet use all 4 spools so you´d get 8 different tests done at once?

1 Like

It would be greate to generate own rfid code with filament parameters for others filaments not from bambu :smiley:

Usecase: Bambu Labs UK store was sold-out of PVA support and glass transparent PC PolyCarbonate filament. So I purchased some on Amazon instead.

Now the autodetect filament feature in Bambu Studio is broken and it would be really nice to custom print my own RFID tag to fix autodetect, rather than having to manually specify which numeric slot I have mounted it in each time.

PS. Bambu filament store always seems to be out-of-stock for half their filaments and this seems like an ongoing logistics issue.