Custom RFI TAGS

Hi Team,

Does anyone know if you can create your own RFI tags so that the AMS will automatically pick up the color?

Ross

9 Likes

I’m also very interested by this…

But if seems that Bambu is NOT willing to sell blank tags…

And that the tags are encrypted so that you, sadly, can’t encode them by yourself…

6 Likes

Lol encrypted. That’s cute. :eyes: Hackers Assemble! Lol

2 Likes

I’m happy to purchase them from BL if they sold basic colour ones, additional revenue stream for them.

4 Likes

I have been wanting to do something similar. Hope there is a solution for this in future either by Bambu or third party offering

4 Likes

Yeah, I would too. Honestly, I wouldn’t mind seeing this become a standard. There’s probably not much incentive for a 3rd party to license (if necessary) or even add the small cost of RFID tags to filament spools given that BL is the only one right now (to the best of my knowledge) that has an ability to make use of it. But it would be pretty cool if tagging spools just became the norm.

I supposed I could see a use case for non-multi-spool printers… if you had an NFC reader on your printer and could just swipe the spool over that and have it fill in various setting on your machine that might be nice. This is my first 3D printer so I dunno how important/beneficial that would be for printers that don’t have an AMS-like ability.

3 Likes

I agree, would love to be able to tag my spools so they detect automatically.
There are a few companies that have been using NFC tags for years though, but i think the only (sort of) accessible one is Ultimaker? Other than that it’s only used in expensive industrial systems i believe.

1 Like

I’d pay money for a set of NFC tags, maybe even individual tags for colors and materials to make your own combos. OR customizable ones you can setup in your own machine. Tag A = color/material you setup. but please keep this on the low priority, there are much larger problems that need fixing before AMS NFC tags are an issue.

4 Likes

I would also be willing to buy RFI tags of specific type of Filament and colors ie: PETG Black, PLA Red etc.

1 Like

Another…Please sell us RFID tags:)

3 Likes

…I want the possibility to buy RFID tags and also want to create my own RFID tags.
It was communicated that the RFID system will be opened - this is why I bought an X1C&AMS. Please fulfil! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

how would they make money if they only sell you tags. I bet you a big part of their business model is to sell you THEIR filaments, because “they insure consistency with the slicer profiles”

1 Like

Im assuming u can with flipper no?

1 Like

I think I saw that they used pretty strong encryption, and it hasn’t been hacked yet. Not even with a flipper.
Not that you need a flipper to produce NFC tags. Most phones can do that now (well, android at least, I just don’t know about apple), but AFAIK, noone has been able to decrypt a bambu filament tag and provide the data to make our own tags.

I would LOVE it if they would open this up, because I would 100% make tags for all of my filament. I have a feeling it has not just the color and filament type stored on it, but also all of the calibration data you would want.

2 Likes

It has been (partially).

1 Like

Educated guess here, just like Apple’s own Earbuds create the effortless magic bond within their ecosystem out of the box, Bambulab’s own spools work best with their printers. Also, selling RFID tags separately could create BambuLab Filament counterfeit market so the tags would have to be priced rather high.
Don’t get me wrong, from a user perspective I want this too.

1 Like

Oh, rad! Thanks for the link!

1 Like

we just need generic tags that can be matched to user settings in the slicer.

But you can sort of do it manually now by re-spooling. Its such a hassle though

1 Like

The public RFID protocol allows for a certain value to distinguish between custom labels and Bambu filaments, which is good for improving filament utilization. It has to be said that Bambu’s filament colors are too few, and there are always too many surviving filaments. That’s all we need. Please sell us the label and edit the color.

1 Like

Frantically looks for Proxmark3…