Decoding the LOG file on the X1C

Anyone know what format the logfile is in?.. the extension is .TAR but none of my TAR decompression tools recognize the format… and it’s not a straight up text file.
the file name also has an “_enc” in the filename suggesting it may be encrypted somehow - so wondering if anyone was able to find their way into the file?
I just want to troubleshoot my non-operational AMS system, and am hopeful to find any errors that were logged right when it failed…
yes - i’ve opened a support ticket… but i’m trying to troubleshoot it from my end at the same time…

I tried - it’s encrypted or in some other format not easily read.

2 Likes

I tried as well, I was trying to get the bed leveling data from the log file. Seems like they really don’t want their users seeing this info.

And/or competitors? The auto bed leveling seems to be quite good. Not sure if decoded logs would help competitors with Bambu Lab proprietary technology.

It’s not working very well on mine unfortunately, it’s unable to compensate for the warp in my bed and they are having to send me a replacement bed. Nozzle almost scrapes the bed in some areas and I have first layer gaps in other areas.

Support told me there should be a firmware update next month to improve the ABL.

Their firmware is proprietary and closed source but I don’t really see anything special about it. I’d be willing to bet it’s just a modified version of Klipper.

Their firmware is based on Marlin. Marlin is open source and so should be the one from BL.

Yeah that sucks. Firmware update probably won’t do enough to fully fix it until you get a new bed if your current one is that bad.

The whole printer or just the ABL?

From memory you can get this data via MQTT.

I wish people would stop piping up with this nonsense. It’s not.

3 Likes

MQTT is a protocol.

The data may be transmitted and gathered via the MQTT protocol… but how this data then packaged into a file?.. what is the file format? - are some open questions. And how does one open up the data package (ie the file)?

1 Like

There is no file - with MQTT you can display much the same info as Studio or Handy will show you during a print, plus some additional details. It’s done with a real-time data exchange, not a file.

1 Like

Not open source or FW not based on Marlin ? You are not clear, my friend.

I know you are trying to help and I appreciate it. However my request is quite a bit different.
I am not looking to intercept the communication “during a print”.

If you look at my 1st sentence of my original post… (the title of the thread also gives away the original question):
Anyone know what format the logfile is in?.. the extension is .TAR but none of my TAR decompression tools recognize the format… and it’s not a straight up text file.

There is in fact - a file. A LOG file.
And I am trying to figure out a way to read it.

thanks!!

Unless you go and work for Bambu Lab, you (effectively) cannot. It’s heavily encrypted.
Discussions around attempts to get through this encryption would also not be permitted on this forum.

If you’re after specific information for a specific reason that you think is available in the log file your best bet would likely to be just to ask Bambu Lab and see what they say.

Both. It’s neither open source, nor based on Marlin, or Klipper.
It’s clearly inspired by both, but functionally it’s not like either.

1 Like

I didn’t say that BL fw is open source. I said that Marlin is " Marlin is an open source firmware for the RepRap family of replicating rapid prototypers " (What is Marlin? | Marlin Firmware) and Klipper is free software, pretty similar to open source.

My conclusion remains that based on the open source idea, if you use it (even if only partly) you should keep your software open source as well. Otherwise you would be using it commercially, which is not ok.

Same with the slicer software the are using. In the beginng they want to keeo it closed but soon realised the that they had open up.

This is my opinion. You must not agree to it.

1 Like

The firmware on the MC board, is not Marlin or Klipper. I’m very familiar with both.

I agree entirely with companies having to adhere to open source licenses, and the whole slicer thing to start with was certainly a bit of a goof (although there’s still no actual evidence that they wanted to keep it all closed source - it’s so blatantly based on PrusaSlicer that I cannot believe anyone could be stupid enough to think that they could do that. The team at Bambu Lab are not stupid).

There is currently nothing to suggest that the MC board firmware uses any open source components, but if anyone discovers that it does then I’m all on board with harassing Bambu Lab until they release the source.

The AP board does use open source components, and you can request the source from Bambu Lab by emailing opensource@bambulab.com . Feel free to query them about Marlin and Klipper via that address too.

I was responding to the comment about MQTT.

1 Like

Yea i figured that…
Someone said “you can get that data via MQTT”… implying “log data”?..
Which you can’t. At least not a lot of it - if any at all. We don’t know what the log file stores.
But the whole MQTT subject (as is the FW side conversation) is quite far “off topic” with respect to the original question if at all. :wink:

Log files in various systems are not normally kept very secret. But if the log files here tell Bambu all kinds of data that gives them a competitive advantage - then i’m not surprised it’s encrypted.

Cheers!

I arrived late to the discussion, and I am also curious about the log files’ content - mostly my printer sensor values.

I wanted to add that the reason for encrypting the logs is related to know-how protection. According to BL CEO, reading the log would allow us to easily interpret about 70% of the printer’s secret information.

1 Like

I’m a little late too. If you are interested in the contents of the log files and Bambu complies with the GDPR and you live in Europe, you have a loophole. Submit a ticket and upload the logs. Then, referring to the GDPR, request all the data they store about you, including the decoded log files. I would really like to know how Bambu responds to such a request. It goes against the GDPR or gives them away. :smiley:

1 Like