Drying new filament

All of the CF filaments now say to dry before using. My X1C came with a 1/4 roll of PAHT-CF and i did not dry out when i first opened it and put it in the AMS (it’s still in there).

Once i open the PETG-CF and PLA-CF, do i really need to dry them before use them? Or can the get damp in the vacuum sealed bag?

Anything is possible which is why they suggested drying first. I have not dried any of the Bambu filament I have gotten yet, including the PLA-CF and PETG-CF. It has all printed well out of the package.

1 Like

A lot of this depends on where you live, what the local climate is like, and where you store open filament. The ambient temperature and humidity will be a lot different for someone who lives in in a hot/dry climate compared to someone who lives near large bodies of water.

Brand new, freshly opened, high quality filament that goes straight into the AMS is probably good without drying. Stuff that got opened and left out overnight in your mom’s basement during rainy season should probably be dried out. Certain filaments will soak up quite a bit of moisture pretty quickly in the right conditions.

I feel like a lot of the warnings about drying new filament is just to simplify things, because there are so many variables. But then again, I’ve had two recent Bambu Lab filament bags come unsealed on their own in the last two weeks, so I’ll probably stick them in the oven before I used them. When in doubt, dry it out.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies! :slight_smile: