Elephant Foot Compensation changed?

Hi all,

During the latest update of Bambu Studio profiles/presets, it seems that the Elephant Foot Compensation (EFC) of the stock profiles have changed.

For example, if I use 0.4 Nozzle profile, none of the profiles have any EFC anymore.
For the 0.6 Nozzle however, the 0.30mm preset has 0,15 EFC, but none of the other layer height presets has it.
It seems like there has been an oversight here, right?
I am at least personally experiencing trouble with tolerances all of the sudden - and it took me a while to find out why.

I know, we can always create a custom profile. And I am personally not new to 3D-printing - but for a novice person, they might never figure out why their tolerances does seem to fit.

Should this be changed? Have you experienced similar issues with the newest profiles/presets?

1 Like

I updated a few days ago, I see the same settings as you are quoting, but Iā€™ve not noticed a difference in the quality of my prints.

The .4 nozzle settings seem to be the only presets that are 0mm All the rest are 0.15mm for Elephant foot compensation.

1 Like

Thank you for this subject!
I am one of the novice persons, and this is the first time I have a clue, why I suddenly have problems. I wanted to print several puzzle boxes as chrismas presents, but the mechanisms did not work. Everything is suddenly too tight.

Would you suggest making a 0.15mm adjustment as a standard for the 0.4mm nozzle too? Or is there a rule of thumb, a calculation or other way to find the correct value?

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Yeah, I noticed this too. Some of my prints 0.4 starts to have elephant foot. I was wondering why.

Have you bug report on Github?

1 Like

I did send an inquiry to their support - I didnā€™t know I could simply report it as a bug on Github. But it seems like they removed the Elephant Foot Compensation for all profiles of the A1 Mini in the recent Bambu Studio update (1.8.4). At the same time, they added the Elephant Foot Compensation to all profiles of the A1, although changing it to 0,075 mm instead of the previous 0,15 mm :thinking:

I just noticed this too with A1 mini 1.8.4 has no Elephant Foot Compensation at all on all profiles.

I know this is an old post, I found the same thing and added the issue to the BBS Git, so hopefully itā€™s fixed in later releases.

I was searching here to see if anyone else had seen the same thing.

Ah, fantastic! Thank you for that. I totally forgot to follow-up on this issue, so I never added the issue anywhere (other than in my support ticket back then).

Fingers crossed it will be fixed.

Oh, and if you have general issues with the First Layer being too low, consider checking the screws for the synthetic stone. It has already helped out a few lads on Reddit! But it is so easy to miss this potential fix on the Wiki :confused:

Soooo I got all my First Layer issues to disappear via rolling back firmware to the previous version there is something wrong with current version.

2 Likes

I donā€™t see any problem. On the default settings, pla + from esun I had zero problems with joining two parts with super glue and have it aligned perfectly, I mean really perfectly . It seems playing with these settings has worse outcome than leaving it on default. I used joints, I cut perpendicular in half,

Itā€™s now the end of April, and this issue (reported in December 2023) is still affecting me. I canā€™t print concentric rings separated by 0.4 mm vertically without them going together into a single disk. 0.4 mm begone!
I added 0.2 Foot Comp (coz yeah, BL just went ahead and removed a setting that was working before) and things got slightly better, but still first layers touches across the supposedly 0.4 mm space.Notice that 0.2 compensation on both sides totals the real separation I specifiedā€¦

This exact model prints without a glitch on the X1C (even using 0.25 tolerance), and prints without a glitch on Voron and Prusa Mini printers. Is it that the A1 mini is not a ā€˜printers for grown upsā€™?

Print details (bed leveling and Auto Flow Calibration on). 5 walls everywhere, but otherwise vanilla print. Polymaker PLA, specifically a color of which I have printed over three rolls without ANY problems.

Please share your advice on this. If I were using unknown PLAā€™s, or experimenting with wild settings, it would make sense to continue tuning and picking around with this, but truly, this a simple print

Thanks!

you can increase compensation value even more.

thanks, @riba2233 . I thought about that, as well as adding X-Y hole/contour compensation. What bugged me, though, is that this is a model I want to share, and wanted to understand why the same settings and filament all of the sudden did not work; people in the community download your file, and all of the sudden it doesnā€™t workā€¦ Real bummer :frowning:

So, I bit the bullet, and re-calibrated the flow on the filament. Even when it printed great before, calibration showed it to be way off correct flow. With the newly calibrated profile, it prints great (Now I just need to remember to turn off automated flow calibration when I print with it).

So, the problem is solved; as for WHY this happened, I can think of only two reasons:

• The particular filament has been stting on the AMS for a couple of months - Then again, where I leave, humidity is not a serious problem
  • After procrastinating for quite a while, I only recently updated the firmware with an update that has been available for a while (the one that totally blanks the Elefant foot compensation setting). I am almost certain the issue was introduced by the ā€œupgradeā€.

Unresolved, though, is the issue of how to support printing profiles uploaded to MW etc. for others to use, considering that even BLā€™s own profiles for brands and filaments that it ā€œknowsā€ are way off after whatever they do on upgrades (?) I download a profile, I expect it to work, it doesnā€™t, the author tells me that it shouldā€¦ What gives? Perhaps I need to add testing samples and alternative profiles for every potential problem.

Thanks again!