Exchange colors in multicolored models

Will be nice to have an option to exchange colors on a model.

When we have a multicolored model, and want to print several on the same plate to reduce poops and save print time, sometimes we just want some color variations between them.

Having the possibilities to exchange colors will save a lots of time avoiding to colorize them manually.

Depending the model it can take hours to just exchange colors.

1 Like

While you are waiting for a potential change to Bambu Studio if exchanging of colours is a frequent requirement -

If your multiple colours are created via separate STLs then you could change the colours of the individual objects fairly quickly using the ‘edit in parameter’ table option - I’ve used this quite a lot for large models with 100s of STLs to correctly colour each part - I’ve even run macros to do this on the Mac - using software such as keyboard maestro.

If instead your multiple colours are created via painting then the different colours don’t seem to appear as separate objects in Bambu Studio.

Looking inside an a example 3mf file it seems like the painting is stored as separate triangles for each bit of painting in the first copy of the object, with the clones just referring back to the first object - so it would be quite tricky to change the individual colours even with an external script to alter the colours in the 3mf file.

If however you do a tiny bit of extra colouring to each cloned copy then it does then seem to create a full separate copy of each objects shapes and painting in the 3mf file - so in that case it would be possible to write a script to change around the colours of the cloned objects in the 3mf file I think.

1 Like