Expensive printer with lots of sensors but

My printer clocked himself up yesterday and I wanted to share that because I do not understand how a 1000€ printer with camera and LIDAr and sensors and everything cannot detect that he is full of filament, so much that even the camera must have been closed up! Why can’t he sensor that something is wrong when he is printing but the bed keeps being empty!!! I cannot get that into my head! Just tell the camera if there is no filament on the plate but you are printing for 1h now, stop it and ask if to continue!!! Please consider that for a future update. I need to buy a new fan housing now because i cannot clean it up without breaking it.

1 Like

1 Like

I agree it should be able to detect failures like this.

They advertise spaghetti detection, but it should be able to detect other common failures like this type.

I also think the camera should be able to check to see that the bed is clear (e.g. no left over prints or tools on the print bed) before starting to move the tool heqd to the bed when starting to calibrate or starting a print.

I don’t have an x1, but I thought the lidar measured the thickness of some printed lines at the start of the print. Whouldn’t that present a warning if no lines detected?

Ah! It also happened to me one time! I was also very upset the X1C didn’t detect this with its AI camera. And you guess what? It even was Nylon! Good luck getting that cleaned off! Took me almost an hour…

It would detect after the first layer that something is wrong but not if it gets loose afterwards and then clogging everything up. But it should definately be solvable to teach the AI camera to se a big piece of junk beneath the nozzle that moves with the extruder…