External + AMS Combo Print

I have a project that I want to print using two different filaments. Most of it will be Wood PLA (which won’t feed through the AMS), and then the top of it will be White PLA (which of course will).

It is possible, within Bambu Studio, to designate the wood as the External Spool, then designate one of the AMS slots for the white, and then do a manual unload of the external after the wood part is done and have the AMS take over for the rest of the print?

There would be only one filament change.

Thank you!

Is there a reason you can’t just use the external spool and swap the white for the wood at the appropriate layer?

3 Likes

I don’t see why not, but how would I do it?

Haven’t done the external multicolour as yet but I’d assume its like any other standard 3d printer where it pauses at colour change and you extract the filament and introduce the next colour. To force it you will initially have to untick the AMS box when starting the print. **Purely a guess :slight_smile:

Here’s a good method. Should be able to do with Bambu Studio and the P series.

3 Likes

@JonRaymond Thank you for that link. With the print job in question, I already had the two parts separated, so it was easy to just find the starting layer of the second part and manually swap filaments. I then added the pause command and did the manual swap. Obviously not as fluid as doing everything with the AMS, but I still like the result (attached). Thank you for your help!

P.S. The project in question is a swatch system where each swatch is a small box with lettering on top to indicate what it is.

1 Like

Add a pause option after slicing at the desired layer ,( right side layer menu right mouse button) then re slice