Extruder has play in Y-Axis

G’day!

Since the Bambu Support seems to be overloaded and hasn’t answered yet, I want to share my problems.
I have my X1CC since ~2.5 weeks now and was very happy until I wasn’t :wink:

I had some printing problems with surfaces looking not good and walls having hefty lines in it.
So I looked around and found out, that my extruder has so much play that the nozzle has some ~1mm play in the Y-direction:

What the print looks like and what it sounds:

Could some of you maybe tell me how much play your extruders have?
Is is possible for me to change the bearings or is that a problem that can only be sonved by changing the whole extruder-housing?

Thanks!
Felix

Hey Testurbator,

ich have the same problem with my second X1CC, the first one do not have this issue. Is your aux fan allready screwed to the housing? Maybe they have a problem with the new batch of printers. I allready opend a ticket.

Greetings
Richard

Indeed it is the 3 screw Version.

Bambu Support replied today.

Not a nice solution, but a relatively quick one - at least quicker than if I had had to get a part sent to me first.

The problem seems to be known, the solution is: disassemble the printhead almost completely and put 0.2-0.3mm tape between the upper bearing and the front plastic shell at two positions.

There are a lot of screws and plugs in the way - negative here: The screws all go into plastic, so I hope you don’t have to unscrew the printhead too often…

You can just throw away the two angle spanners that come with the printer, as the ball heads didn’t fit into the screw heads either time.

It is also advisable to have one of these mini screwdriver sets at hand so that you can unscrew the screws more quickly - as I said, it is quite a large quantity.

All in all, about 45 minutes of work, not complicated, the screws are not different, there are only two types, small and large.

The same goes for the plugs, there are different plugs everywhere

I used this as adhesive tape:

2 layers = 0.333mm according to the micrometer.

I didn’t want anything that could be pressed together, so no isotape or armour tape.

2 Likes

Hey Mate,
got the same answer like you. :slight_smile:
Did it help? I’ll do it next week.
Best regards
Richard

1 Like

It did indeed help, yes :slight_smile:

Yikes, that seems like an awful solution to a defect. I’d hope they would send a replacement print head for something that is obviously a defect from the factory. I hope my printer, arriving soon, does not suffer from this issue.

5 Likes

Already fixed it also, helps a lot!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did Bambulab send you guys a new part in order to replace your temporary fix?

2 Likes

just a temporary fix

1 Like

how did they manage this? did they send you a coupon? or will they send you a new part directly?
is this part already in their store?

2 Likes

did they send you a coupon?
→ No
or will they send you a new part directly?
→ No
is this part already in their store?
→ No

:joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

So for Bambu lab support, the double tape fix seems to be a permanent fix :face_with_spiral_eyes:

2 Likes

you used the 0,18mm tape?

1 Like

Yes, 0,18mm in two layers

2 Likes

I got my printer a few days ago (auxiliary fan is screwed to the housing) and I can confirm to at least have some noticeable and worrying amount of play there… Will watch out for any print defects… not sure though if I should contact support already, and I really am not looking forward to dismantling the whole hot end assembly. :smiley:

2 Likes

are the carbon rails sliding on the tape now? Appears so. Looking to add a X1CC but not liking this one. My P1P is running well.

Nonono!
The tape just helps with clamping the bearings without any play

4 Likes

How well would you say did the procedure fix the initial problem? Would you post a video comparing the nozzle wiggle before / after?

Was the reassembly possible without damaging threads in plastic parts and needing to glue the screw in?

1 Like

Did they offer to send a new part?

1 Like