Failed to pull back filament error - Spool is unwinding (Pictures)

Using brand new Bambu filament with spools and upon filament changes, the spool will get totally unwound and cause this error. The spools were new and totally tight when inserted but still unwinding on the filament changes?

1 Like

Couple questions. Does it do this on all slots or just one? Do you have the lid closed while it is trying to pull the filament back?

5 Likes

That spool of red filament is not placed on the rollers correctly. It is too far to the right. That’s likely why it isn’t being retracted properly and slipping on the drive rollers.
You can see it isn’t centered in the photo. I place my spools in the “left” section of the guide bars to have them centered on the rollers. I don’t run Bambu Labs filament so yours may be different.
Your best placement will depend on the width of the spool you are using.

Hi - So far, its done it on slots 2 & 3, both full rolls of Bambu filament. Lid is closed and tight when I print. I’ve actually watched it do this numerous times because I was interested in what was happening and it just seems like its spinning the spool to quickly while rolling it back.

Hmmm. That may be just the angle in which the photo was taken. I will have to go down and take a look to make sure though. That would be my bad if that’s the case.

Spool was on the rollers and was just fine, so it wasnt that. this is still happening and pretty annoying. I think I’ll open a ticket with bambu support. wish me luck.

have you checked your ptfe quick connector? Where does your filament go and where does it stop?

i have not checked the ptfe connector. I am not sure if you think its jammed or if theres a piece of filament in there or anywhere else, as I would say there isnt, as I can just rewind the spool after it unwinds and can continue to print just fine.
If theres something else with the pfte connector that I should be aware of, like may its not straight or something, please let me know.

i had that happen when printing multicolor, however i just chalked it up to the smaller sunlu printer spool. I have since printed the rings to make the spool the same size, I am actually thinking of putting a cam pointed at the AMS to see if I can see anything, the time lapse in the X!C is good, one almost needs the cam in the AMS… In my case, it only failed once every 30 minutes or so with color changes every layer, however, I suspect something happens prior to the error causing the spool not to retract. In your case it looks like the spool isn’t turning to take up the filament when its retracted.

Hi - I actually watched it happen and all my spools were Bambu and pretty much full. It looks like the spool is rolling back to fast or something along those lines and it just cant keep up, causing it to unwind. I’ll try and get a video of it when I get a chance.

I am having the same problem with 2 x1c’s and they both have 2 ams’s.

Every sense u upgraded my firmware to 1.7 etc I have had this problem. Also know a guy that has 10+ x1c and he has 7 of the 10 doing it.

Bambu needs to fix this problem some how

Thai is a HUGE issue with the AMS and I can’t find anything on their “ support forum “ , I’m 3 months in on this unit and I can’t get a single print to complete without this exact issue and error message happening the entire time . It happens on all 4 slots , doesn’t matter what type of filament roll it is or how much filament is on them . I submitted a ticket 2 weeks ago with photos , logs and videos . Here’s 2 of the photos I have sent them as well showing the severe deterioration of the rollers and the first slot finally gave out and just tore

Their support so far is a massive disappointment.

I had the same problem:
Here solved

I have the same issue. Once I saw the machine was trying to retract and I quickly opened the lid and the spool started rotating. I thought maybe the lid was binding on the spool but haven’t looked into it too much yet.
I’m using only Bambu filament/ spools. my spools are the white ones and there are little black marks in a few spots that look like the rubber wheels were turning but the spool wasn’t.
Edit for typos and pictures.

As you’ve sent a picture showing you using Prusament, BBL will likely say that you are using non-bambu filament and therefore it is not the fault of the AMS.

You need to put some weight in the middle of the spools. When the spool runs low the filament is on a greater angle which can sometimes cause the spool to lift up off the back rollers and it will jam against the underside of the lid. Look for spool weight or desiccant holder models on makerworld and just fill them with desiccant or batteries or something heavy when the filament gets low.

I know this is an old thread now, but this happens to me all the time and it ends up being a piece of filament broken off and down in the hub of the AMS. Basically you have to pull the AMS apart and pull the offending PTFE tube going into the hub, usually you’ll see the piece of filament and can pull it out.

This happens to often enough that I’ve begun pulling the filament from the AMS until I know I’ll need it. By default the AMS seems to wind the filament so tight that it almost creates a kink in the filament at the funnel after each print. One thing BL could do is to reverse the spool for 1/2 a sec to remove the tension.

I started this thread and for me, its NEVER been a piece of broken filament. For me, the spool unwinds too fast, causing the filament to go “off the rails” and get tangled. See my original PIC in the first post.

Sorry, I should have read it more carefully. For myself, it’s so common that I assumed it was broken filament. I’ve never had your issue happen to me, really odd.

I have (2) X Carbons. It only happens on one of them. Its bizarre.