Fake print pics more AI generated layer lines

Nope, I meant modern Mickey. They’ve got loads of ways to stop anyone from using it.

That was the exact point I made.

I said…

That is a clear vote against doing something that will get you in trouble from the house of mouse.

1 Like

This is not an airport, you don’t have to announce your departure.

4 Likes

You and @01makes are right. Only the Steamboat Willie version entered the public domain.

I didn’t pay much attention to the Mickey Mouse copyright thing partly because I have no interest in using it, and partly because If I ever want to use IP materials, I would be seeking some professional advices instead of solely relying on my own interpretation. IP laws are complex.

Serious question here, as I didn’t see it in any of your replies, or maybe I misread one.

If you are going to print the model and have a print profile, what is the point of even posting renders? Doesn’t that take an immense amount of time over posting the printed product?

I know I have way to much going on in my life to take the time to go try to figure out various rendering software packages for anything I might post.

1 Like

Many CAD modelling packages include the rendering feature as well. This means the effort required is low as they have the model.

I’m not going to speak for anyone here, but, I will summarise a list of reasons people have given.

1. I don’t want to waste filament printing the models I design, that is for the users to do.

2. I’m not in it for the printing, I just like modelling.

3. The renders are as good as the printed model.

4. My models are easy to print, I don’t see why I should have to prove they will succeed when printed.

5. I don’t have any decent photography equipment.

6. The render looks far better than the printed model ever would and if I show the picture of the printed part, it isn’t as good of an advert as the render is.

Some of these can be agreed with to a degree.

I am strongly in the camp of “provide your evidence it will print.” I spend hours, days even, prototyping with prints to make sure my designs are achievable for the users when they print them.

I see providing proof my designs will print successfully as part of the designers role.

I think for some, it’s about creating a consistent brand image. It can be easy to do photographs, but it can be difficult to do high-quality photos all the time too. Not everyone is as good at that aspect of it, but they may find the tools for rendering allows them to more easily create that polished and consistent look. Rendering is much easier than it use to be, so in a lot of ways it can be easier to have a render stage setup where you can plop models into.

Seems especially important on Makerworld, this idea of branding, of creating a consistent look and experience. It’s a more consumer driven environment, and so more thought is given to those aspects where they might not have been as important in the past.

There’s certainly “brands” I can think of on Makerworld. Work I see come up and I instantly know the designer just based on the style of how they present their work.

1 Like

I’m setting up right now to take photos of my latest design. I don’t think people always appreciate this point, haha. I can take pretty decent photos with my phone, but it’s not the same as when I pull out all of my lights and everything and do it proper. It takes work and skill. Haha, I think rendering is easier for me at that point.

1 Like

I bought one of those photography light boxes with front panel opening, front panel removal, top panel opening (for starlight down shots) and a decent tripod with ring light. A number of coloured backgrounds and purchased a few textured bases to group like models together in consistent settings.

Altogether this cost far less than £100.

I still use my own phone as the camera.

As a very disabled person, the tripod means my tremors don’t affect the shot and remote shutter Bluetooth button makes taking the shot even easier.

1 Like

I totally agree. Unless you have a dedicate photo booth or studio to take your photo, rendering is way more easier especially if you want to keep consistency trough your model thumbnails.

That confirmes what I just said ^^
But yeah 100£ is an investment than most people will not make especially if it’s for publishing free models.

I just used my camera facing down on my desk (black wood texture) for the first almost 300-ish models I uploaded.

The most recent 32 have been taken with the light boxes and ring-light tripod. At the same time, I started adding captions and staging (base textures and coloured backgrounds).

The more recent models have been downloaded far more and viewed far more.

The little extra effort is paying off. For me, the aid to my disability and the increases in exposure are a twice-won award.

One important factor also likely in-play is the more recent models are less ‘boring’.

1 Like

Woaw I didn’t realize you had so many models! Impressive :+1:

For sure good thumbnails are super important to catch the attention of the users.

:green_heart:

I didn’t particularly notice that but I’m not on MW since a long time (I’m not sure this last sentence is in good English ^^')

Taking good photos requires very little investment. While most of my photos are taken in a $40 (Cdn) lightbox, all of my bigger projects are done on a kitchen table using a piece of cardboard and a sheet of white construction paper from the dollar store. Those sheets are two for $1.25.

Published photo…

Original photo…

7 Likes

For me that’s not really the cost attached to it but more the time required to get good photo shots. Settings up the “studio”, make a composition, … Most of the time, it is far quicker and convenient for me to render it.
But I’m using exactly the same setup as you for taking my pictures :wink:

1 Like

2 Likes

Did you spot that I pointed out my disability was the main reason for the change?

I can’t stand or sit for even short periods, my hands suffer from tremors, which makes holding a camera very difficult.

While not everyone needs this, owning this has been a massive improvement in my comfort and capability.

1 Like

I love this model more than my (filled) clocks.

I also have something called Aphantasia, which means I can not imagine the faces of anyone I know, I cannot visualise anything including the things I design. It takes a lot of effort.

Ironically, I can’t even imagine how having an imagine actually works!

1 Like

So, you think they are ALL Boring!

:rofl:

Lol that’s not what I said, I didn’t notice a change :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like